But I don't like algae...

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Howdy, I'm looking for some ideas on how to control algae. I've got an 800 gallon pond. Guess I'll say it's a three level pond. The filter is the top level, which waterfalls into the mid-level which waterfalls into the lower level. It has some nice LED lighting and currently no fish or plants. I will probably put plants in eventually but until then I'd like to stop or at least slow down the algae that's growing all over the liner. I know this is a typical problem and has probably been hashed and rehashed many times but please bear with me. Anyway, the only way I found stop the algae is by using bleach in the pond. That's okay short term I suppose but I understand it's a little hard on the liner and eventually I'd like to have some live plants and bleach would be a no no then. So the question is, until I plant up, does anyone know of a reasonable way to control the algae?
Thanks in advance

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Forgot to add info. I live in the state of Washington. Zone 6. Last year I didn't have much of an algae problem but this year it's been sun, sun, sun. 100 degrees today. Supposed to be 104 this weekend. Yippee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Biggest things with algae seem to be the water depth and lack of water movement. With that said, I've been running a pump in a continuous loop all summer (just finishing a filter barrel so it'll be filtered soon). Basically it pulls the water from below, then dumps it right on the surface. This creates current and splashes and helps oxygenate the water. In my case, the pond seems to think it's a mini river right now. I've had zero algae growth this year, and pond goes from around 3' deep at shallow end to somewhere around 10' to 12' at deepest point. Also, zero mosquito larvae this year. Not getting your temps, but Ohio has been in upper 80's with lots of humidity. Also, pond is basically full sun and sees around 9+ hours of it.

Last year, had just finished digging the pond and allowed it to fill a few times. Was an algae mess and thousands of mosquito larvae everywhere. Stagnant, still water should be avoided at all costs.

Here's a pic from last year (pump wasn't running, only used to drain) and a couple current ones (pump runs 24/7). See the difference just from running the pump in a loop? To be honest, we just had a rain so I'm surprised it was even that clear. Rain will limit clarity for awhile. Still need a filter though. I do empty a few hundred gallons out periodically either after a heavy rain fall or after running my sprinkler over the banks to water everything. Have well water though and probably wouldn't use chlorinated/treated city water. I bought a harbor freight pump and it seems to be doing OK and if running correct fittings that keep everything at 2", it easily does it 4500 gph rating and cost around $130. Their smaller pumps are a fraction of that price and can create splashes. Good news the pump only draws like 2.45 amps which is amazing when you see the water it pumps out. Smaller pumps should be considerably less amperage.
20200918_191526.jpg
20210729_174321.jpg
20210729_162657.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A pond with no fish or plants is going to grow algae - nature fills empty spaces. The best way to control algae is to get some plants growing to compete with the algae, and then fish to feed the plants.

With no fish or plants however you can use any of the many algaecides on the market. I wouldn't recommend bleach as it is rather harsh. You could use hydrogen peroxide as a less expensive alternative to algaecide and see if that helps.

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Biggest things with algae seem to be the water depth and lack of water movement. With that said, I've been running a pump in a continuous loop all summer (just finishing a filter barrel so it'll be filtered soon). Basically it pulls the water from below, then dumps it right on the surface. This creates current and splashes and helps oxygenate the water. In my case, the pond seems to think it's a mini river right now. I've had zero algae growth this year, and pond goes from around 3' deep at shallow end to somewhere around 10' to 12' at deepest point. Also, zero mosquito larvae this year. Not getting your temps, but Ohio has been in upper 80's with lots of humidity. Also, pond is basically full sun and sees around 9+ hours of it.

Last year, had just finished digging the pond and allowed it to fill a few times. Was an algae mess and thousands of mosquito larvae everywhere. Stagnant, still water should be avoided at all costs.

Here's a pic from last year (pump wasn't running, only used to drain) and a couple current ones (pump runs 24/7). See the difference just from running the pump in a loop? To be honest, we just had a rain so I'm surprised it was even that clear. Rain will limit clarity for awhile. Still need a filter though. I do empty a few hundred gallons out periodically either after a heavy rain fall or after running my sprinkler over the banks to water everything. Have well water though and probably wouldn't use chlorinated/treated city water. I bought a harbor freight pump and it seems to be doing OK and if running correct fittings that keep everything at 2", it easily does it 4500 gph rating and cost around $130. Their smaller pumps are a fraction of that price and can create splashes. Good news the pump only draws like 2.45 amps which is amazing when you see the water it pumps out. Smaller pumps should be considerably less amperage.View attachment 141533View attachment 141534View attachment 141535

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Howdy, I'm looking for some ideas on how to control algae. I've got an 800 gallon pond. Guess I'll say it's a three level pond. The filter is the top level, which waterfalls into the mid-level which waterfalls into the lower level. It has some nice LED lighting and currently no fish or plants. I will probably put plants in eventually but until then I'd like to stop or at least slow down the algae that's growing all over the liner. I know this is a typical problem and has probably been hashed and rehashed many times but please bear with me. Anyway, the only way I found stop the algae is by using bleach in the pond. That's okay short term I suppose but I understand it's a little hard on the liner and eventually I'd like to have some live plants and bleach would be a no no then. So the question is, until I plant up, does anyone know of a reasonable way to control the algae?
Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance
Hey, thanks to everybody for replying so quickly. Really appreciate it. I went out and looked closer at the pond and discovered that the algae it's growing on the little bit of muck on the bottom, not the liner. Frustrating... We had a nasty spring here with high winds and lots of rain and my pond had at least an inch of muck and algae on the bottom after that. Then I started having raccoon trouble at night. They dumped rocks and such in the pond and tore up the pump hose. Finally got rid of the little blackards, did all the clean up and repair, only to look down and there's that algae again. Haha, can't win for losing sometimes. Anyway...
Mr. Green frog, I think you're absolutely right. Circulation is the key. I dropped a small pump I have on the bottom to keep the water movie and it immediately blew half of the muck and algae to one side. Originally I figured the waterfalls would keep the water moving enough but guess I was wrong. I'll have to get out there and vacuum the bottom again and see how it goes. If I still have trouble I guess I'll try some algaecide as Lisak1 has suggested. ✌

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks in advance
Pics, still a work in progress.
20210730_152914.jpg
20210730_152926.jpg

20210730_152901.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
OK. I get where you're coming from, but.... when I see/hear someone say "I don't like algae!!" My first thought is "Well, then, you shouldn't have a pond."

I get it, I really do. Algae isn't the most attractive plant in a pond. But, a pond will have plants (with or without our involvement) so... you have no purposely introduced plants, but you don't want what nature introduces either? You have a choice to make, then.

At our last home, we had a free standing fountain that was constantly over run with algae. We used chemicals. We drained, cleaned & refilled. Finally I tossed ONE, potted plant into the basin. The algae issue completely stopped - literally overnight!! A pond's gonna do what a pond's gonna do.

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK. I get where you're coming from, but.... when I see/hear someone say "I don't like algae!!" My first thought is "Well, then, you shouldn't have a pond."

I get it, I really do. Algae isn't the most attractive plant in a pond. But, a pond will have plants (with or without our involvement) so... you have no purposely introduced plants, but you don't want what nature introduces either? You have a choice to make, then.

At our last home, we had a free standing fountain that was constantly over run with algae. We used chemicals. We drained, cleaned & refilled. Finally I tossed ONE, potted plant into the basin. The algae issue completely stopped - literally overnight!! A pond's gonna do what a pond's gonna do.
Totally with you. I thought I said something about it earlier but my plan has always been to put plants in the pond. No fish, (cuz I don't want to mess with them) but plants, absolutely. Actually, that was the plan for last spring but dust storms, raccoons and my own health issues put a stop to that. Thanks for telling me what one plant did for your fountain. Maybe I'll just break down and grab a couple and throw them in there. Better late than never.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would also encourage you to remember - this is a pond, not a swimming pool. People spend lots of time and money keeping a swimming pool free from algae because wherever there's water, algae will grow. But in a pond it's all part of nature. If you have a fountain it would be more of an issue to keep it algae free, but you will be constantly fighting it with chemicals. Luckily a pond is meant to look more natural so the bit of algae that you're showing us in your photos is really nothing to worry about. Get some plants growing in and around it and you'll find that, even if you still have a small amount of algae, you won't notice it as much.

Do be aware that plants in a pond with no fish will need supplemental fertilizer. With no fish creating waste there's nothing to feed the plants. There are a number of aquatic plant fertilizers on the market or you can just use any of the spike type fertilizers meant for tomatoes or other garden plants. Any fertilizer is going to help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DUMP SALT IN THE POND you already have plastic lilies get the salt level up to 8.0 and you'll end any algae from fresh water if algae starts go higher with the salt
or chlorinate it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
DUMP SALT IN THE POND you already have plastic lilies get the salt level up to 8.0 and you'll end any algae from fresh water if algae starts go higher with the salt
or chlorinate it
I think @GBBUDD forgot to mention the next step; get yersef a flame throwa and have at it, mate!

Ask a Question