Butterfly Eggs Hatching

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
I found these eggs on my Palm Tree, which is above the pond. I couldn't work out who had left them until 6 days later, one day before they hatched.

Wall Butterfly Caterpillar's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Tiny Termite thats really cool and a great source of protien to any fish, however I wouldnt go feeding these ones to my koi because they are Piosonous to fish these hairy caterpillars.
If anyone wants to feed some to their fish as a free meal feed only smooth skinned to your fish .

Dsve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Well I'd rather the Caterpillar's ate my Palm tree and finished off their Life cycle in my garden, than my fish getting a bit of Protein, after reading this...

This species was once found throughout England, Wales, Ireland and parts of Scotland. Today, however, is a very different picture, with this species suffering severe declines over the last several decades. It is now confined to primarily-coastal regions and has been lost from many sites in central, eastern and south-east England. In Scotland it is confined to coastal areas in the south-west of the country. It is also found on the Isle of Man and Channel Islands. This butterfly is found in relatively small colonies that are self-contained although some individuals will wander, allowing the species to quickly colonise suitable nearby sites.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do wall butterflies prefer wallflowers? ;)

Awesome shots! How do you always manage to be in the right place at the right time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Do wall butterflies prefer wallflowers? ;)

Awesome shots! How do you always manage to be in the right place at the right time?

The Wall gets its name from the characteristic behaviour of resting with wings two-thirds open on any bare surface, including bare ground and, of course, walls!

I find all my findings by looking at things that just shouldn't be there, if you know what I mean...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I found a mating pair of Buff Ermine Moths, they mated for over 24 hours, the next day the eggs arrived, then 7 days later they emerged. They look very similar to the Wall Butterfly above.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
We planted a milk thistle, hoping to get some Monarch butterflies, sure enough we had 3 caterpillars at one point. Now we have none...I suspect the birds got after them.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Sorry, milk weed. Here's the photo I put on the milk carton. I guess it's possible they already went and built their chrysalises but I didn't see them anywhere. Maybe they'll send a postcard.

IMG_3468.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry, milk weed. Here's the photo I put on the milk carton. I guess it's possible they already went and built their chrysalises but I didn't see them anywhere. Maybe they'll send a postcard.

IMG_3468.jpg

Actually, milkweed plants are poisonous to most birds! Maybe the transformed to butterflies and flew off?

Ask a Question