Butterfly Koi acting strange

Doc

Reaction score
Country
United States
One our our older koi (she’s about 13) is acting a bit different. She seems lethargic, lips and gills moving constantly. Seems to be hanging out by the skimmer and waterfalls. It seems to me to be oxygen deprivation but I can’t find a reason why. Bought a pond test kit and checked ammonia, nitrite and PH levels. All are good. PH was slightly elevated but not off the charts. Pond is being aerated very good between the aerator and the waterfalls.all plants are spring to life. In fact some are in bloom already. She is the only one that is acting different. No obvious signs of injury, lesions, droopy fins etc…. Noticed all this last week. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1650915850173.gif
@Doc
Sorry for the sick fish. Does seem like it is having trouble breathing. Hope you can find out what is wrong .
Check out this online article I found as it talks about fish gasping and hanging around waterfalls: Read about it 1/3 down on the page. Gasping at surface https://hanoverkoifarms.com/koi-symptom-diagnosis/

:(

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! How big is your pond? What kind of filtration do you have? Has there been anything different such as new fish, any chemicals added?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You would get a more accurate reading of pH with a high range kit.

Elevated nitrite levels can prevent a fish from taking up oxygen, no matter how much you have in the pond. So nitrite test results would be helpful.

Generally the larger fish are more affected by these issues than smaller ones. They need more oxygen than smaller fish and they often are the ones to exhibit problems first.

The information Mmathis mentioned would also help us understand your situation.

Doc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! How big is your pond? What kind of filtration do you have? Has there been anything different such as new fish, any chemicals added?
Thanks. Our pond has a 15 ft water trail with three waterfalls. It empties into the large section which is roughly 18’x14’. I have an aerator in the large section. It has a Aquascape signature series 1000 skimmer and Bio fall system. As far as any changes there hasn’t been any. No new fish. I’m using the same maintenance additives I’ve always used. I autodose Aquascape Clear and Maintain to keep algae under control and stabalize the water and also add beneficial bacteria weekly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

How many fish are in this pond and how big are they? At the size you mentioned you could be around 1500-2000 gallons, depending on depth, shelves, etc. I know you said "nothing changed" but the one factor we all forget is the FISH change. They get larger over time and their need for more water volume increases. Is this the largest fish in the pond? the big ones usually display signs of oxygen deprivation first.

Doc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF!

How many fish are in this pond and how big are they? At the size you mentioned you could be around 1500-2000 gallons, depending on depth, shelves, etc. I know you said "nothing changed" but the one factor we all forget is the FISH change. They get larger over time and their need for more water volume increases. Is this the largest fish in the pond? the big ones usually display signs of oxygen deprivation first.
The pond is in the 3000-3500 gallon range. She is not the biggest. We have two others larger than her. Total of about 13-14 fish. Three larger koi, 6 medium koi and the rest are goldfish. She is the only fish that seems to be acting differently.

Doc

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are the products you use for algae control?
Aquascape Clear in an auto doser. I’ve started the season off with this and will alternate Clear for two weeks and Maintain for two. Haven’t switched to Maintain yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most here don't recommend using any chemicals in the pond. They generally interfere with the natural maturing process of the pond and in so doing, just create more problems, or at the least, a continuation of the same ones.

The beneficial bacteria you need for your filtration system doesn't come in a bottle. It won't survive long enough without oxygen to be bottled, shipped and sit on a shelf before it is opened. The type you need is already there on the hard surfaces of the pond and in the filter, and all you need is patience for it to grow large enough to support your system. It just needs water, ammonia for food, oxygen and the proper temperature, and surfaces to grow on. Your pond already has all the necessary ingredients. You don't need to add anything else.

Last edited:

Ask a Question