Butterfly Koi Breeding

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes, They do breed just like regular koi and will breed with them. Usually they breed from May to July in the US. Water temps usually need to be 75 degrees or higher but they can breed at lower temps. The female lays the eggs while a group of males chase. If there are goldfish in the pond they will chase along and possibly fert. the eggs as well forming Goldfish/Koi crosses. The eggs are quite sticky and if your wanting to raise some the easiest way is to get a new mop head or two rinse very well, secure them where they hang down in the water and the female will swim through the mop heads and deposit the eggs. Then simply pick them up and place them in a container pre-set up to raise the young. If the eggs are left in the ponds most will be eaten before or soon after they hatch, So raising them separately is really needed to successfully raise more than just a few babies.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Think fish will breed with anything that is in the pond .I have given fish away that I have no clue what they were .Went back to see some of the ones I gave away 5 years ago and gosh they are pretty fish .They have had babies since also and are even prettier .I guess I never really see ugly fish .

Reaction score
Good Morning, I hope everyone had a safe and Merry Christmas!!

Question: What if my pond never clear up, Is the green water harmful to the fish??

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
No. Your fish love it, as it gives them some protection from predators. The reason we all want crystal-clear water is so that we can see our fish.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw a koi farm in NC and the water was so green it was amazing there were fish in there .but koi breeders seem to like it that way

Reaction score
Yes, They do breed just like regular koi and will breed with them. Usually they breed from May to July in the US. Water temps usually need to be 75 degrees or higher but they can breed at lower temps.

Key word of usually LOL. Most of ours were conceived in the lower 60s... our pond never hit 75 til mid July... last batch of koi babies hatched early Sept... back into the 60s...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Usually two years old, but again, a early season birth fast growing male can reproduce in less than two years, females rarely breed before they are at least two years old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've got at least 4 koi that are 2 years old this season... two butterflies and two regular (also one of each is male and female). Add them to the frenzy of the three older koi, and this should be an exciting season! It's a good thing the irises and moneywort have grown in solid, should make good breeding grounds.

Reaction score
Good Morning Guys,,

I have some smaller koi in a indoor aquqrium for study. I discovered they are developing small irritations about the body. It started with one koi and it has spread to two other koi. Do any one know what's the cause of this.

See Pics>>

Ask a Question