butterfly koi?

Reaction score
Country
United States
They do look like butterfly koi — pretty ones, too. But I’m sure you’ve already picked up that koi need a lot of space, as in 1000 gallons for the first fish, then add 250-300 gallons (or so) for each additional fish. Not only space, but good filtration.
thank you. I am trying my best to keep these Koi real happy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got 2 butterfly koi at Wal-Mart years ago. Paid $1.25 each! Feeder goldfish they said. Within 3 years they were both at 3 feet! You are going to need a big pond fast!
thank you. Do you still have them? you have pictures of yours?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :) Very pretty butterfly koi. Are you keeping them inside or outside? Before you promote too much growth, I'd build a bigger pond, especially before winter.

This is what I feed my koi:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used Blue Ridge growth and color food, fed 4-5 times daily. Did not have a huge fish load at the time . One fish was sold , the other developed an infection while we were on vacation and died. I no longer feed growth food. Quit koi sales and just trying to maintain my 2 ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
what is the best food to feed them for great color, and growth?
At this point, the LAST thing you need to worry about is growth! Those koi (and they are lovely, by the way!) will outgrow your small pond/area in no time. To be honest, I *never* feed a 'growth' food. I use an 'All Season' which is sufficiently high in protein for maintenance. I really don't want my koi to GROW. They're lovely & large enough - I don't want to have to make serious culling decisions (which might unfortunately come at some point, even without my encouragement)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Let me state this- I grew and sold koi for many years. I would never recommend the feeding that I did for a regular pond owner. I had 1 year old koi at 22". The last couple of years, I found that a lot of my customers were under the impression that koi would be fine in an aquarium or a small pond. I was told they had huge ponds and then they were calling me with issues with their fish or I would see them up for sale online. A healthy and well cared for koi can and will grow to 24" or more and should never be put in a small pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The commenters are right, you will need a lot more room or smaller fish. Too bad s they are nice looking and will have long fins. The gene that regulates fin growth is defective in the butterfly koi and goldfish. Nice mutation! If you can't return them, I'll bet there are folk who would gladly take them off your hands.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
They are koi - two are definitely butterfly. Not sure about the first one.

I absolutely hate that PetSmart sells these fish out of aquariums. Those fish will grow to anywhere from 18-30 inches long, very quickly.
I agree, I bought two koi from petsmart a year ago and they told me they would be fine for life in a 300 gallon! petsmart is auful, and in there care guide they even said 80 gallons works!!!!!!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I have to admit there is always a small temptation to run out to pet smart and pick up a couple koi of my own whenever I read these threads
it is true because they are sooooo cheap and its just like what the heck, but then you relize what the heck was I thinking!!

Ask a Question