Butterfly/pollinator puddler — does anyone have these and do your pollinators use them?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, to begin, this is a new-to-me topic of interest that started popping up on my YouTube feeds.

The purpose of a “puddler” is to provide a spot in your garden that serves as a “watering hole” for pollinators, but I guess primarily for butterflies. There are recommended specifics for making them....and apparently the sky’s the limit!

I made one a week or so ago, but problem is, we’re not seeing a lot of butterflies (or honey bees) this season. I made a small “butterfly garden“ out back, and it’s really just now starting to bloom. That’s where I put the puddler.

Well, even if the critters actually are coming by, and I’m just missing them, at least I know I’ve provided for their mineral needs.

Here’s a link in case anyone is interest in trying this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They love landing on the shallow gravel areas of our pond shelves.
butterfly drinking 01.JPG

It does seem to be an 'off' year for butterflies, though (at least around my yard/area) The tiger swallowtails are definitely in lower numbers than we usually see at this time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I put a terra cotta saucer with small stones out last summer......and no one visited :( Our local birds love the water fall rock, but don't seem to want to go through our wide weave net. I see both squirrels and chipmunks go through the net to drink . I'm hoping they'll soon discover the bog....although it's getting hard to see the water through the plants!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@IPA Oh gosh, I didn’t even consider the “pond!” My pond isn’t conducive to anything other than dragonflies and end-of-life cicadas or June bugs — but — have a neighbor about a quarter of a mile from us (as the bee flies) who has bee hives — her place is right on our small lake. Plus, she has a huge pollinator garden. She’s retired, but used to be our veterinarian. I can see why the bees and butterflies might prefer her set-up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put a terra cotta saucer with small stones out last summer......and no one visited :( Our local birds love the water fall rock, but don't seem to want to go through our wide weave net. I see both squirrels and chipmunks go through the net to drink . I'm hoping they'll soon discover the bog....although it's getting hard to see the water through the plants!

Grab some sand from the edge of the road in early spring as it is loaded with salt. they should swarm to that on your terracotta and water

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@IPA Oh gosh, I didn’t even consider the “pond!” My pond isn’t conducive to anything other than dragonflies and end-of-life cicadas or June bugs — but — have a neighbor about a quarter of a mile from us (as the bee flies) who has bee hives — her place is right on our small lake. Plus, she has a huge pollinator garden. She’s retired, but used to be our veterinarian. I can see why the bees and butterflies might prefer her set-up.
There should be plenty of pollinators to go around. I’m happy to see the honey bees, I didn’t see so many last year. I let all my herbs go to seed, oregano and mint, the oregano is popular. There are a few mason bee types I haven’t seen this year but I swear, yesterday when I turned the sprinkler on to water the pond all the honey bees buzzing about brought such a huge smile to my face.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There should be plenty of pollinators to go around. I’m happy to see the honey bees, I didn’t see so many last year. I let all my herbs go to seed, oregano and mint, the oregano is popular. There are a few mason bee types I haven’t seen this year but I swear, yesterday when I turned the sprinkler on to water the pond all the honey bees buzzing about brought such a huge smile to my face.
We have a huge hydrangea “tree” in the backyard. When it first started blooming, there were lots of little bees and some that looked like little wasps (but don’t think they were) all over that thing. Unfortunately, I am not good at bee-ID, so have no idea what they all were. I was just happy to see them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD Roadsides were exactly the example that was referenced in some of the videos I watched! I have some composted manure mixed with my sand, as well as some sea salt and magnesium sulfate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Mmathis Where i am out in nature all day it is just what i have observed..

Are you any closer to your build ?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried putting out shallow trays of water and mud for the butterflies. None were interested. Not getting a lot of butterflies this year and the garden has been blooming for months.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mmathis

Are you any closer to your build ?
No, not yet! It’s frustrating because right now, as with everyone else, we are having to watch our finances. Before COVID-19 hit, we had the money dedicated and set aside for the pond, but now some of that money is going to pay bills or for emergency expenses. I am ready, though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The “moats” big puddles in my driveway get plenty of birds and bugs drinking and bathing, but yes, this year has had fewer butterflies than usual. I put that down to last years floods drowning many caterpillars, but maybe it’s not just us.

Ask a Question