Buying fish on line

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Looking to add at least one more Shubunkin to the heard. I have looked locally and have found fish who's color pattern i already have. Also the health of many I have seen are horrible. Many are so emaciated that they hardly have the strength to swim. On one hand I am tempted to buy them just to nurse them back to health, but I worry about the potential disease a fish in such poor health would carry.
I am beginning to wonder if buying on line is my only option. However I have no experience in buying fish on line and honestly wonder how viable it is. This seems like allot of stress for the fish and I wonder if it would even arrive alive?
Does anyone have opinions or experience at buying fish on line?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have bought 5 Butterfly Koi from NDK on eBay and they arrived quickly and very healthy. They communicated well with me. I would buy from them again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I have purchased Discus fish several times on line for my aquarium but never fish for the pond. If done properly the fish will be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Panzer, I’ve dealt with buying online and for the most part it has been pretty good. What pattern are you looking for? I know a breeder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Panzer, I’ve dealt with buying online and for the most part it has been pretty good. What pattern are you looking for? I know a breeder.
I am looking for a shubunkin that is mostly Orange with black markings, or a black and white panda.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’ve bought a lot of fish online for years ranging from saltwater to various pond fish. It is a very viable option pretty much all the marine fish I have came from online purchases and quite a few koi and goldfish. The only times there have been issues is when the fish aren’t overnighted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I’ve bought a lot of fish online for years ranging from saltwater to various pond fish. It is a very viable option pretty much all the marine fish I have came from online purchases and quite a few koi and goldfish. The only times there have been issues is when the fish aren’t overnighted.
Yes and I would need to have them delivered on a Saturday so I could get them in the water as soon as possible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Yes and I would need to have them delivered on a Saturday so I could get them in the water as soon as possible.
Yup. Luckily I know the postmaster in my town. He takes good care of me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Yup. Luckily I know the postmaster in my town. He takes good care of me.
It would be cool to have little ones again, but I would be worried if he fish were less than an inch. My biggins could probably fit something smaller in their mouths.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you get fish online do not do the normal lfs drip method or slow acclimation process.

Float bag for temp. acclimation then release in to the tank or pond ( if not qting).

Reason being, the fish has been in the bag for roughly 24 hrs building up ammonia in the water, and creating co2 in the bag which makes the ammonia less toxic as it depresses ph. If you open the bag and the co2 escapes ph will start to rise quickly, making the ammonia in the shipping water more toxic to the fish. This way they can get into healthy clean water quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
If you get fish online do not do the normal lfs drip method or slow acclimation process.

Float bag for temp. acclimation then release in to the tank or pond ( if not qting).

Reason being, the fish has been in the bag for roughly 24 hrs building up ammonia in the water, and creating co2 in the bag which makes the ammonia less toxic as it depresses ph. If you open the bag and the co2 escapes ph will start to rise quickly, making the ammonia in the shipping water more toxic to the fish. This way they can get into healthy clean water quickly.
Thanks Jhn, that is good to know.(y)

Ask a Question