Buying fish on line

Discussion in 'Fish & Koi Talk' started by Panzer13, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Panzer13

Panzer13

Looking to add at least one more Shubunkin to the heard. I have looked locally and have found fish who's color pattern i already have. Also the health of many I have seen are horrible. Many are so emaciated that they hardly have the strength to swim. On one hand I am tempted to buy them just to nurse them back to health, but I worry about the potential disease a fish in such poor health would carry.
    I am beginning to wonder if buying on line is my only option. However I have no experience in buying fish on line and honestly wonder how viable it is. This seems like allot of stress for the fish and I wonder if it would even arrive alive?
    Does anyone have opinions or experience at buying fish on line?

Panzer13, Jul 10, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Panzer13

RobAmy

I have bought 5 Butterfly Koi from NDK on eBay and they arrived quickly and very healthy. They communicated well with me. I would buy from them again.

RobAmy, Jul 10, 2018
    Gemma and Panzer13 like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Panzer13

Gordo33

I have purchased Discus fish several times on line for my aquarium but never fish for the pond. If done properly the fish will be fine.

Gordo33, Jul 10, 2018
    Panzer13 likes this.
  4. Panzer13

Sparky

Panzer, I’ve dealt with buying online and for the most part it has been pretty good. What pattern are you looking for? I know a breeder.

Sparky, Jul 10, 2018
    Panzer13 likes this.
  5. Panzer13

Panzer13

I am looking for a shubunkin that is mostly Orange with black markings, or a black and white panda.

Panzer13, Jul 10, 2018
  6. Panzer13

Sparky

Let me talk to her. She had fry recently. They should be starting to color up.

Sparky, Jul 10, 2018
    Panzer13 likes this.
  7. Panzer13

Jhn

I’ve bought a lot of fish online for years ranging from saltwater to various pond fish. It is a very viable option pretty much all the marine fish I have came from online purchases and quite a few koi and goldfish. The only times there have been issues is when the fish aren’t overnighted.

Jhn, Jul 10, 2018
    Panzer13 likes this.
  8. Panzer13

Mmathis TurtleMommy

The main thing is to quarantine any new fish — even if the place you get them from says they have been quarantined!

Mmathis, Jul 10, 2018
    Panzer13 likes this.
  9. Panzer13

Panzer13

Cool, thanks Sparky.

Panzer13, Jul 10, 2018
  10. Panzer13

Panzer13

Yes and I would need to have them delivered on a Saturday so I could get them in the water as soon as possible.

Panzer13, Jul 10, 2018
  11. Panzer13

Sparky

Yup. Luckily I know the postmaster in my town. He takes good care of me.

Sparky, Jul 10, 2018
  12. Panzer13

Panzer13

Yes quarantine is an issue given I really don't have anywhere to do that.

Panzer13, Jul 10, 2018
  13. Panzer13

Panzer13

It would be cool to have little ones again, but I would be worried if he fish were less than an inch. My biggins could probably fit something smaller in their mouths.

Panzer13, Jul 11, 2018
  14. Panzer13

Jhn

If you get fish online do not do the normal lfs drip method or slow acclimation process.

Float bag for temp. acclimation then release in to the tank or pond ( if not qting).

Reason being, the fish has been in the bag for roughly 24 hrs building up ammonia in the water, and creating co2 in the bag which makes the ammonia less toxic as it depresses ph. If you open the bag and the co2 escapes ph will start to rise quickly, making the ammonia in the shipping water more toxic to the fish. This way they can get into healthy clean water quickly.

Jhn, Jul 11, 2018
    Panzer13, Mmathis and RobAmy like this.
  15. Panzer13

Panzer13

Thanks Jhn, that is good to know.(y)

Panzer13, Jul 11, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
  16. Panzer13

Somethin' Fishy

It sounds like you may have found a fish connection already, but I'll post this for anyone interested:

I was considering purchasing goldfish online as well, and for the same reasons; lack of variety in our area, and fish that were too skinny or otherwise unhealthy looking. I too was leery....although I've worked in the pet industry, and have had thousands of fish delivered by air/land. Usually the only deaths were from overcrowded bags or poor stock to begin with. But - we also had guarantees from the dealers to receive credit for any losses. So as an individual consumer, I was apprehensive....not knowing which on-line offerings were reliable, and with the high cost of overnight shipping, it felt like a gamble.

However, this past week I finally went for it, and I ordered a single shubunkin from Koi to the World. Pricy for one fish, I know, but it was nice to be able to pick out the exact fish I wanted. Anyway, ordering was simple enough and all was going smoothly...up until UPS called me on the morning of delivery day. I was told there was a "hold" on the package, and that I would have to come pick it up. I hadn't requested a hold, so I was mystified and annoyed. This is a 2+ hour round trip for us, and we're a one vehicle family. If it hadn't just happened to be my husband's day off, I would not have had a way to make this trip, perhaps for DAYS, due to his schedule. Anyway, I contacted the business about it, and they said they didn't request a hold on the package either. So they're investigating it, and I am inquiring to UPS as well....

Now on to the most important part, the fish! He/she arrived double bagged in a tight fitting sturdy cardboard box, with an ice pack and a bit of newspaper cushioning. (In my opinion, a foam lined box would have been better.) The fish was somewhat stressed, sitting in it's dirty water, but no obvious burns or inflammation. It does seem to have a somewhat deformed gill plate on one side, which was alarming at first - as I discovered it while checking for red inflamed gills. But it should be okay - either born that way, or regrowth from an injury... We're on day four here, and still alive anyway!

So other than the shipping hiccup, and who's at fault for that is yet to be discovered.... I survived! Although I'm not sure I'd attempt it again....mostly, based on the expense. But had this fish not been so unique in coloring/pattern, I wouldn't have gone for it.

I've heard good things about Liveaquaria.com, but since I was looking for "handpicked" options, I didn't order there.

Best of luck fish hunting, and please update us if you do have an on-line purchasing experience.

Somethin' Fishy, Jul 15, 2018
  17. Panzer13

Somethin' Fishy

UPDATE: I contacted UPS via e-mail to see if I could get to the bottom of the "hold package" mystery. Turns out, there was never a hold package request made (as I had been told). Apparently, UPS just decided to not load it up for delivery, and left it at their hub with the intention of delivering it the following day. So at least one person noted the box labeled LIVE FISH - RUSH, and gave me a call. So I'm thankful for that. Otherwise the outcome for this poor fish could have been grim. Anyway, I followed up with a call to UPS, as well as KttW, to work out a shipping credit. I must say the communication with KttW has been spot on, so I'm pretty confident with them as an on-line fish source.

I hope this helps anyone interested.

Somethin' Fishy, Jul 16, 2018
    Mmathis and Panzer13 like this.
  18. Panzer13

Panzer13

It sounds like you had a near miss with ordering your fish there. I can relate I order allot of things on line for my home and hobbies. Things can certainly go wrong in shipping.
    I found the part were the fish had damage to it's gill plate. If it was a birth defect I would think they should have disclosed that. Especially with the prices we are talking about. That seems more than a little dishonest to me.
    As for I got lucky. We went to a street fair in a nearby town. I figured I might as well see if their was a fish around their. Luckily I found A nice one, and two shubunkins that were of the color scheme I wanted.
    I was able to sit and watch them interact with their tank mates and surroundings. This part is the most important for me. I like to get a feel for the fishes health and personality.
    I want to be sure the fish is healthy and would be a good fit for the pond. The fact that this is not possible with a fish bot on line is my biggest trepidation. I would feel like I was flying blind.
    Both fish are doing really well. They are feeding and exploring their new surroundings.
    It always interests me how this upsets the pecking order of the pond. All the fish show up to check out the new guys floating in the bag.

Panzer13, Jul 16, 2018
    Somethin' Fishy likes this.
  19. Panzer13

Jhn

Will second buying from KTTW, have ordered fish from them numerous times, without issue. It has been awhile though as they have gotten pricey on their fish even the small ones.

Idk what is going on with the delivery services, UPS, fedex, USPS, etc. I have had more issues with them doing stupid crap in the past few years than the previous 10-15years of ordering stuff combined.

Jhn, Jul 16, 2018
    Somethin' Fishy likes this.
  20. Panzer13

Somethin' Fishy

What a stroke of luck to find what you were looking for at a street fair. Congratulations on the new additions!

Yea, I'm the same way...I like to inspect them too. Its just too bad we don't have many resources nearby... Everything is an hour or more away, so we're limited to a Petco, a PetSmart, Wal-Mart, and one pond place. No independent fish shops that stock pond goldfish. I have rescued a couple feeders and a unique looking shubunkin from the big box petstores, but selection is slim and health is always sketchy. The pond place mostly deals with koi, with some comets, shubunkins, and fantails. I imagine the more unique looking ones get snapped up by locals who can get first pick as soon as shipments come in, and what's left is the same o'. Not that the plain looking fish can't be attractive in a pond, its just different patterns and colors are nice to set things off.

I am really happy with the KttW fishy though, but I don't think I want to deal with getting live creatures via UPS anymore!

Somethin' Fishy, Jul 16, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question