Buying pond plants online?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I am not sure if the plants would be good quality. The local garden centres usually have very sad water lettuce and the hyacinth are not that terrific, either. The parrot feather is usually acceptable. I like plants that provide oxygen and plants for the koi to nibble.

Has anyone ever bought plants online?

Thx.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have, but only from a commercial aquatic retailer. The plants were excellent quality and arrived promptly, well wrapped in wetted paper inside plastic bags to keep them damp.
The trick is finding a good supplier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have, with mixed results. Some are good sized and healthy, others send tiny little specimens that are hard to even tell which end is up. I would suggest placing a small order to see if you are happy with the product before spending a lot.

Best "mail order" I ever got was from @addy1 - haha! But seriously, other ponders may be your best source of plants by mail - unless you know some local pond folks and can just exchange in person. Once you have an established pond, you find yourself with more plants than you know what to do with.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought off ebay one year and got nice plants but now after complaining here a couple of places are now carrying pond plants .It pays to complain .I have even contacted lowes to ask them about it .My neighbor has them in her spare bathroom in the tub for the winter she said she kept 3 of each but it is a full tub now .I am going to go over and take some from her

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
TY for the replies and for the website, Maria. I am excited to have new sources and choices! :)

We've never put snails in the pond. Are there any drawbacks? Do garden snakes eat them? There are plenty of snakes that hang out around the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have bought a lot on line, also have shipped out a lot from my pond. Ebay, trickers, other ponders all good sources.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had them but koi ate every one of them .I got plants from neighbor .I put them in the concrete mixing tub to clean them out side .They sitting in nice bright sunshine .Trying to let them get used to the fact they will not be in that hot bathroom any more under LED lights

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be a tad worried something may be brought in with your pond plants or are they checked for things like snails etc before they are sent to you ?

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I clean all of mine with a dip in peroxide and water and then into a tub of water with fertilizer and I never stick plants straight into the pond .Just like fish you have to wait .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I heard tell of a guy whose koi died after the man took plants directly from a lake and put them in his own pond. I guess he did not clean them. When some plants were offered on the local freecycle I was tempted to ask for them, but I didn't know the person offering or the state of his/her pond, so I did not ask. Too chicken.

I offered extra plants up one year and was surprized that the people who got the plants did not ask a thing about the state of the pond. Maybe I just ask too many questions. That was a rare summer when the water lettuce produced well and looked great.

Will koi eat lawn grubs too? (Ick)

Ask a Question