Buying pond plants online?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
The local garden centre's Water Lettuce gets worse every year. The leaves are brown, and yellow and the edges look sun burned. Not much green on the plants and they barely multiply. Thankfully, the Parrot Feather is usually robust.

The Water Hyacinth the garden centre has looks good, but does not multiply, either. I live in Delaware. Does anyone know of a reputable supplier of pond plants online or elsewhere? There is no one else in this area I can find who supplies half decent plants.

Thanks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The best thing for both is to put them in a container for awhile with miracle grow and they will perk up .I keep mine in the basement all winter and bring them out and they go in a tub of fresh water with miracle grow and they multiply fast

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Oh wow! I would not have thought about that. How much Miracle Grow for six lettuce? They're OK living in standing water all winter?

That is so clever! Thanks very much!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never had a problem with them except that they reproduce .i use a LED light bulb that is on a timer and add less miracle grow .I use 1 teaspoon of miracle grow to a gallon of water .I use a concrete mixing tub to keep them in .

Attachments

• pics on durecell back up 1038.JPG
    pics on durecell back up 1038.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 283

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have already given lots of water lettuce and water hyacinth to other ponders .There is only one place to buy them here .They even got there plants from me and are selling them and built a tank that is better than the one they had.6 to 8 hours a night .I get some light from the basement windows during the day

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My basement is not heated but was built with insulation under the floor and on the outside walls but it still gets chilly down there and the plants don't seem to mind the chill .Only year I lost my plants was the year hubby had his heart attack and then had to have 2 eye surgeries .No time for them and water evaporated .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've used lilyblooms.com and they are great. Nice big looking plants and fast shipping.

I always got carried away and buy more than i needed... spent too much time looking and too much money spent ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Great thread! We have a local center that sells a variety of pond plants but only full sun varieties and I need something more full shade but struggling to figure out how and where to buy them. Im even considering just dropping a fern or just about anything in my pond that can be tolerant of wet feet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just got 20 (22 actually) Water Hyacinths on eBay for $30. They seem to have arrived just fine. Do a search there, you can find them for something like $1 each if you buy enough. Makes the $3-4 at the garden center look like highway robbery.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I only bought 2 after after a month I had 12 water lettuce prefers shade but adivirus said the little glass like things on there roots are bad for the fish ,But if you keep them in a floating ring it shouldn't be a problem .You can keep hostas if they are not submerged .All you need is 1 or 2 and then you may even then find yourself giving them away or they go in the compost bin .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You can keep hostas if they are not submerged .All you need is 1 or 2 and then you may even then find yourself giving them away or they go in the compost bin .

I have that problem with day lilies from my garden. :) On the plus side, they are a quick way to fill things in until you figure out what you actually want to do. And are removed easily.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the same thing ,lots of lilies that I pull up and give away .Hostas do the same

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I get too much shade even for cabbages. I have an umbrella
image.jpeg
cutting from a house plant in my pond right now, in a simple pot, lol. It cant stay out in winter but its umm....something? Lol

Ask a Question