Buying supplies online or locally

Reaction score
Country
United States
Going to be putting in a water feature in my backyard. I'm going with a little giant f30 pump and a 10x22 45 mil liner. The pump at my local water garden store is approximately $280. I found it online for $175-200. The liner I have not searched for online but the local store said it would be approx $220. Is there a good online source for liners? Should I buy local?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It would most likely be cheaper to buy everything separately online if you want to do the whole thing yourself. I use the pond liner from Firestone. Not sure who else sells it or what specific sizes you could get. But $1 per sq ft is about average most places.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Webbs online is good plus they were offering double points .Pet solutions is good also and dr foster and smith

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You could also look at the kits they sell and see what all you need and then price compare items and brands for your budget and pond needs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dr foster and smith shipped my pond liner for free .it was 20x 15 and it was bigger than that when I measured it ,not sure why .Funny thing is UPS delivered it and it said on box 70 lbs ,yeh sure :):)

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you like the convenience and the one on one help a local place can offer and woukd lime to see them stay in business, then shop local. Our local pond shop is going out of business, he can't compete with Web stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I like to give my business to our local fish hatchery. In an effort to compete with on line stores, they began price matching, so it's a win win :)

I really only ask them to price match, when the difference is significant....otherwise I don't quibble.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I try to shop local but there is only aquascape in NC and they are 4 times the cost of what I paid .That is why I supply plants and fish to people here for free .The koi farm went out of business ,he decided to retire

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Definitely Foster Smith; if you have any kind of issue they will take it back no questions asked. We once bought a liner that we didn't like after we installed it and they told us to return it dirt and all and they gave us a full refund. Another plus; the customer service actually knows their products and can give good advice. A great company
We have used Webb's and I used to swear by them. The last couple of times I called for help when I was having difficulty installing a Tetra filter the employee treated me as though I were a moron (I was ponding before he was born). I wrote a letter to the owner telling him about my issue but he couldn't be bothered to reply. I guess they have too much business now to worry about customer service. A shame.
I love to go to our "local" pond store ( 15 miles away), but they are so much more that the web.
Good Luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Webb's Online also sells some stuff on ebay! I think sometimes the prices are a bit lower there.

Ask a Question