buying your first fish in 2014?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I might buy a Butterfly Koi since the only one I had got taken off to a better place by the Blue Heron :cry: But besides that, not buying anymore fish until I get the Big Pond built.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have no room for new fish... but if I expand I might get one, maybe two, but only if I see ones really different from what I've got.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They don't photograph well. Imagine a goldfish, except black... ha!

Let's see how this works - this is from last October when they were just pups. There are three of them in this picture:

DSC01563.JPG

You can see one of them is going after that food - a little much for you there, big guy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And bettasngoldfish - I had heard the same, so I decided to give the three we had from last year's spawn a chance. One was showing signs of orange last fall, so we'll see about the other two. These new babies are going to have to go though - I was out counting and it looks like we had about 15 fry survive the winter. Go figure - worst winter yet!

And I meant to add - the white and orange guy in that photo was a solid orange comet. Last summer he turned all white, except for his orangey head and read eyes. Now it seems the orange is coming back, at least somewhat!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can only see the one going after the food lol

You have koi and goldfish in your pond? Any idea what the babies are?

All the color changing is fun to watch but sometimes disappointing especially if you are looking for a certain color.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The babies are... fish. Not really sure who did what with who. We have a few koi, a few comets, a few shubunkin, and a couple of fantail goldfish - the chubby little bubble kind. So anything is possible, I guess! The shubunkin was the one getting the most attention, but it was from the koi. So who knows! Pond tramps!

Ask a Question