water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let me type on computer
Hey addy, If I have a lot of beeswax how do I render it down? whats the best option?
Too hard to type on the phone finally home, fed, feet up.

How much is alot?. I bought a melting pot, holds around 2lbs of wax, I put that pot, with wax, into a bigger pot of boiling water until it melts. I also bought a large sifter off amazon, 12 inches wide. I layer paper towels in the sifter, then pour the melted wax through the paper towels onto a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil.

Not a quick way for a lot of wax, but good enough for the amount of wax we have.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was sent this info by a fellow bee keeper. Thought I would share it with you all.

https://www.ksat.com/news/national-honey-bee-day-10-reasons-honey-is-good-for-you

"

National Honey Bee Day: 10 reasons honey is good for you

Honey bees are nature's warriors

1. Antioxidant-rich. Honey contains phenols, enzymes, flavonoids, and organic acids — all of which play a crucial role in honey’s laundry list of health benefits.

2. Reduces the risk of heart-related ailments. Thanks to its antioxidant-rich properties, honey reduces the risk of heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. It also works overtime to regulate blood sugar levels and promote eye health.

3. Improves cholesterol levels. In addition to honey’s happy-heart ways, it also has been proven to lower LDL cholesterol and blood triglycerides.

4. Acts as a natural cough suppressant. For children 1 year and older, honey is a great alternative to traditional cough medicine. It acts as a natural and safe cough suppressant that is as effective as a single dose of dextromethorphan.

5. Moisturizing and nourishing. You can use honey in your homemade face scrubs and washes. It emulsifies easily with water (surprisingly, no stickiness) and can help to moisturize and further nourish dry skin.

6. Reduces allergies. Not only is honey anti-inflammatory, it also contains small amounts of pollen, which can actually help your immune system stave off local allergies. (Local honey contains allergens local to your area.)

7. Promotes burn and wound healing. Honey is packed with antibacterial and antifungal properties. When it comes to applying a natural salve to minor wounds, cuts and burns, honey is your go-to.

8. Consider it “brain food.” Honey can naturally assist the brain to prevent metabolic stress, which in turn helps one to achieve truly restful sleep. And you know what happens after a good night’s sleep? Our cognitive and memory enhancement is on point.

9. Helps with an itchy scalp and dandruff. When diffused with water and applied to an itchy, dry scalp, honey’s natural humectant properties help to heal and moisturize.

10. Increases athletic performance. Honey maintains glycogen levels and improves recovery time post-workout. In a nutshell? Athletes shouldn’t skip a daily spoonful of honey. "

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Made our first candles today, boy does the house smell good! Love the smell of the bees wax.
IMG_1816.JPG
IMG_1817.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah, they are neat. Are you going to sell them at the farmers market?
Going to try. You never know what will catch a eye. Trying to figure out a price, they are around 2 inches tall. Burn for around 10 plus hours And SMELL GOOD!

This is the first year we have had excess wax. I usually use it to wax the foundation for the bees.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
are the molds custom or handmade? I love the bear hugging the bees nest.
They are silicone molds I bought from my bee equipment supplier. Spent around 100 on them, but they do work well. It will take selling quite a few to make up the cost of the molds lol.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My right eye is swollen almost totally shut. One of the girls smacked into my forehead, sort of got trapped there by my hat and sunglasses (I was tilling) well she stung me right above my eyebrow. Yesterday just sort of swollen, this am eye lids swollen. Hard to see when you can't open your eye.

I usually don't swell up as much, but didn't have my unkers with me, had to run into the house to get the stuff, by then it had delivered a good dose of venom. And I couldn't see the stinger to get it out before it pushed in a bunch of venom.

Oh and I promised dear hubby to not accuse him of smacking me!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ouch! So sorry. Hope it goes away soon.
I looked on line for bees wax candles, most were just sticks or volitive. Depends on the crowd, you could price them high, can always offer 2 for 1 or add a jar of honey but if too low they'll be gone. Are the 5 the only ones you have?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are the 5 the only ones you have?
They were my first attempt. Going to make some more, only have xx wax I can use. A bit limited unless I buy wax.

Markets end at the end of September, so not too worried about having a big supply. When gone they are gone, or they will be around next year. They don't rot! We have one big event to go to in early October then done until next year.

Ask a Question