bypassing the waterfall of a filterfalls

Reaction score
Hi again everyone,

Well, we've started expanding our pond. Eeek! Can't believe I'm plunging in again. Plan is to go from 16 X 7 X 3.5 to 18 X 11 X 5.5. Mechanism is above surface wall 2 ft high and moved out some from original pond dimensions.

I'm stuck trying to figure out how to rebuild the waterfall / filter and incorporate the new wall. I don't want to shut it down even though we have a secondary bead filter supposedly able to handle a 2000 gallon pond. We recently went through a couple months of dealing with water quality problems because neither filter was up to par. Now they both are and water's pristine.

Here's my idea. Put two 4 in. Bulkhead fittings in the wall of the Easypro filterfalls just below the level where the water goes over the falls. attach to them some 4 in. flex pipe that goes back into the pond. IF these two 4 in openings are enough, the desired outcome would be cessation of flow over the falls, but still having the water come up through the filter media. the unanswered question is whether the two opening will be enough. 4 in bulkhead fittings are pricey, so thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts.

Ask a Question