Cal pump t 4000

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm lillysbaba and new to the forum. I have a 5 by 17 ft 2000 gal pond (small surface area due to yard size!) which has been operational for 9 years or so. I have an Oase skimmer that is cylindrical and freestanding and three filtration systems, one of which is powered by a Cal pump T4000. I chose this because at the time it was the only high flow pump that had a connection for an inlet hose. It conveniently quit just after the one year warranty was up and I replaced it with the same model for the reason mentioned above. Now I am on my third pump which trips the GFCI plug (the other two did as well, we thought it was the plug). I paid an electrician to replace the entire outlet box and everything works fine except the cal pump which trips the new GFCI plug.
After talking to two technicians at Cal Pump, I am told that the pump is overheating because it doesn't have enough "lift", which seems counter-intuitive. Wouldn't having to pump water higher or farther cause it to work harder and thus overheat? Also nowhere in the literature either on their website or in the booklet that came with the pump does it recommend that this pump should only be used for "high head" situations.
Is there anyone out there who has had this experience with a Cal Pump? And additionally, can someone explain this concept to me? I get the distinct feeling that this guy is "blowing smoke"
Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and did your electrician check your circuit breaker panel box to see if the breaker is good and also that it is not over loaded .I just have cheap harbor freight one and is 2150 gph and cost 79 dollars

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
making excuse so they don't have to replace the pump or refund your money .They are there to sell and don't care after you buy sometimes ,more today than ever ,so if it not your circuit breaker panel it is pump

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome6700.gif
lillysbaba

Ask a Question