Calcium Montmorillonite clay?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Anything that might improve water quality and aid in good health of the fish would be nice.
I've seen it mentioned in posts here and a few years back my local farm stand koi guy suggested using it.
I was looking at reviews on Amazon and someone posted a negative opinion. The item I was looking at was from Micro-Lift (6 pounds for $26). This guy stated that it was not pure, that it had perfumes in it. He stated you would be wasting your money because plain cat litter was the same thing.
So, is this guy correct or is he a wacko?

Opinions on usage, what type or brand and where to buy would be welcomed.
Thanks...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He did not know what he was talking about .I use both kinds ,food grade and micro lift and have been using it since 2005 .I buy mine off ebay for 21 dollars for 6 lbs .No perfumes are ever added to this product because it is all natural clay .I found out food grades is exactly the same as the pond stuff .Do not buy the red clay as that can turn the water a little pink for awhile but it does go away .I accidentally bought the red 2 years ago

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
He did not know what he was talking about .I use both kinds ,food grade and micro lift and have been using it since 2005 .I buy mine off ebay for 21 dollars for 6 lbs .No perfumes are ever added to this product because it is all natural clay .I found out food grades is exactly the same as the pond stuff .Do not buy the red clay as that can turn the water a little pink for awhile but it does go away .I accidentally bought the red 2 years ago
Sounds good. Pretty much what I figured. You can't believe every review. I'd rather trust the experiences from our knowledgeable ponders on this site.
Thanks Sissy!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@poconojoe Here is an old article I have saved about kitty litter and clearing your pond water: http://nfkc.info/nfkconliine/Cat Litter.htm
I have kitty litter in my plant pots, the clay kind w/no perfumes that I get in big bags at Walmart. Cheap. You can find the 100% clay kind at other places also. I have never just used it to clear the pond tho. Some has accidentally spilled and when it does it seems to help water clarity.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing that cat litter companies will tell you it is not pure or clean .They do not worry about what can get into the litter when they process it .They said to me that oil or other stuff from the machinery can get in it .But that said you never know how they process the koi clay either

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Very interesting! We use that inexpensive clay type litter for our cats. It's called "Kitty Diggin's". It states 100% natural...fragrance and dye free. The ingredients: Fuller's Earth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I checked online and saw this:
Fuller's earth:
Fuller's earth is any clay material that has the capability to decolorize oil or other liquids without chemical treatment. Fuller's earth typically consists of palygorskite or bentonite.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look up fullers earth it does not seem to be the same thing .I read all about it a couple years ago .It is good for absorbing oils and stuff

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've used the Special Kitty brand from Wal-mart for years in my pond pots w/no ill effects to my fish. Comes in big 25 lb bags or it used to anyways. I have hoarded a bunch of bags of it in my shed from a few years ago so I would have plenty if needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Just bought the Walmart kitty litter today to pot my water Lillie’s. They are still in their little net bags on the bottom of my pond. The leaves are about 6” from the surface already. I will be following the kitty litter and Osmocote recipe recommended by the wizards here.
I am still waiting for pond to cycle so have been adding ammonia every other day or so and the many bog plants are shooting up everywhere. Can not wait to get some shubunkins. The neighborhood kids have already got names for the fish and come by every day to check on the progress. Teaching some chemistry to them too! Water tests are very entertaining it seems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just bought the Walmart kitty litter today to pot my water Lillie’s. They are still in their little net bags on the bottom of my pond. The leaves are about 6” from the surface already. I will be following the kitty litter and Osmocote recipe recommended by the wizards here.
I am still waiting for pond to cycle so have been adding ammonia every other day or so and the many bog plants are shooting up everywhere. Can not wait to get some shubunkins. The neighborhood kids have already got names for the fish and come by every day to check on the progress. Teaching some chemistry to them too! Water tests are very entertaining it seems.
Sounds good. It's great to get the young ones involved in a productive hobby.
Adding ammonia? I thought most people want to get rid of ammonia. Shouldn't ammonia be zero ppm?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I am doing a fishless cycling of the pond to establish the good bacteria, plants in bog and grow some algae on rocks and bottom before adding fish. The ammonia is a substitute for the fish wastes. When I add the fish the pond should be able to handle their wastes and keep the water clear and healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am doing a fishless cycling of the pond to establish the good bacteria, plants in bog and grow some algae on rocks and bottom before adding fish. The ammonia is a substitute for the fish wastes. When I add the fish the pond should be able to handle their wastes and keep the water clear and healthy.
Well, that's quite an interesting approach! You are a chemistry mad scientist! Very cool!

Ask a Question