Calla Lilies in my bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I was admiring the beautiful ruby red flowers today and decided to look them up. I was surprised to find out they are not lilies and that the bulbs are poisonous. I did not find anything specific about the poison but did find instructions on how to plant them in your pond. So now I am wondering if anyone has specific information on whether or not they are poisonous to fish?
They were in my yard not doing so great so thinking they were lilies and people put lilies in there bogs, I could give them a try. Dug them up, rinsed the dirt off and stuck them in the pea gravel. They are doing great and have beautiful flowers that never appeared when they were in our yard.
So hoping someone can give me some guidance. Not to late to pull them out.
By the way, the algae has finally surrendered to the plants and now that the water is clearer, I can actually see the hornwort, mermaid plants and red luigia all doing great under the lily pads and the pickerel rush. That is probably why the water has cleared up. Now it is just stained a bit brown, I suspect from all the dead algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Callas are toxic if you eat them, but they won't hurt anything by planting them in your bog. I've planted callas in my bog many times. They are water loving plants so they will love it there. I grow them in pots, too, and just have to make sure they are kept watered.

The staining you are seeing is most likely tannins from organic material in the pond. Glad to hear things are clearing up for you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Callas are toxic if you eat them, but they won't hurt anything by planting them in your bog. I've planted callas in my bog many times. They are water loving plants so they will love it there. I grow them in pots, too, and just have to make sure they are kept me in the watered.

The staining you are seeing is most likely tannins from organic material in the pond. Glad to hear things are clearing up for you!
So planting calla lilies in the pond is probably not a great idea as fish can eat the roots etc?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So planting calla lilies in the pond is probably not a great idea as fish can eat the roots etc?

You know what - you've been saying "calla" and I've been thinking "canna". Cannas will grow in the bog or pond. Callas are a different plant.

Ask a Question