Calla Lily

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I got a gorgeous Calla Lily for MD and I'm trying to figure out where to plant it. I've seen some posts of people putting them in the bog or at the pond's edge. I have a cat and am a little worried though, has anyone planted them and could you give me some help.
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a beautiful calla lily two summers ago, just had it in the area of the pond in a nice pot. My boxer (who was a puppy at the time) ate some of it and got poisoned from it. Ended up having to take him and leave him at the vet for a few days. He needed to be on fluids as he was dehydrated from vomiting. We were scared to death he might not make it. I will never have another calla lily again as it's not worth the risk to me.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's what I'm afraid of if I plant it. I was wondering about the bog since pup can't get to it and cat doesn't. I'm so sorry Maria, glad he survived!

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks, We are glad too! :)

I would think it would be okay in the bog especially if it's a place where the cat and dog can't get to it. Maybe @addy1 would know for sure if they can survive in a bog area?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I guess I will just try it since that's the only place I'll feel good about it going. I'm so sad that they are toxic, they are one of my favorite flowers and I had no idea. So glad I found out before and not "after".

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I guess I will just try it since that's the only place I'll feel good about it going. I'm so sad that they are toxic, they are one of my favorite flowers and I had no idea. So glad I found out before and not "after".

Yea, I didn't realize it was poisonous to dogs. Matter of fact, I never had a dog chew on my flowers or plants before we had Chumlee.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Thought this might be helpful here since it was brought up....(poisonous to dogs)

The PDSA produced the following list

Daffodil (especially the bulbs)
Castor oil bush (dogs love the seeds)
Cherry laurel (common hedging plant)
Laburnum (and related species) common name golden chain tree
Lilies / Lily of the Valley (especially toxic to cats)
Philodendron (popular ornamental house plant)

Other common plants and flowers worth mentioning
Azalea
Foxgloves
Ivy (some species)
Rhubarb
Yew

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We overwinter Calla lilys here in a well-lit garage window. This variety grows well in a mesh pot in shallow water, once the overnight lows climb into the 60s. They are beautiful... (y)
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ask a Question