Calling for pictures and description of Meyer Jordans pond!

Reaction score
OK people help me out here. I have seen a bit of @Meyer Jordan pond on Facebook and I think it is awesome. He has incorporated some really cool features that I had never even though of until I saw his pond. I hope Meyer does not mind me calling him out. He said he doesn't want to post too much because he doesn't want us to think he is trying to promote his business on here. Meyer, noone thinks that! Help me out people! I think we can all learn some cool new ideas and would just plain out enjoy the photos.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
OK! I give up! Uncle!!

I will begin posting pictures of my outdoor laboratory, otherwise known as a pond. I will try to explain what was done and why it was done. I will start with the early days of construction and continue up to my most recent photos.
HPIM0003.JPG
HPIM0004.JPG
HPIM0002.JPG
HPIM0001.JPG

These are the earliest photos, taken in Spring '05 right after the initial filling of the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The first photo shows on stream 'delta' on the left and just a glimpse of the pond's 'elbow' on the lower right. The planting areas on either side of the 'delta' are 12" deep pockets filled with commercial topsoil.

The second photo shows the pond basin. On the left side can be seen the planting area that is filled with topsoil. Just above that in the photo is the constructed wetlands filter.

The pond basin is 33 feet long and 12 feet at its widest point. It does not have shelves but rather levels of approximately identical lengths in an attempt to mimic the contours of a natural pond. The shallowest has a depth of 10", next deepest a depth of 18" and the deepest section is 3 feet. these is another section that can't be seen in the photo that begins under the bridge and extends another 10 ft to the right. This section is also 10" deep. The pond has two (2) skimmers, one located lower left, out of the photo, and another upper right also out of the photo. The lower left skimmer is dedicated strictly to the constructed wetlands and the remaining skimmer is dedicated to the waterfall.

The third photo is looking upstream toward the waterfall. Pictured in this photo, though not clearly seem, is, at bottom of the photo one of the settlement areas which includes a central topsoil filled planting area; both stream beds. The one on the left has slow water velocity, two (2) settlement basins and a topsoil filled planting area. The stream bed on the right incorporates a steeper grade giving a higher water velocity. It contains a settlement basin and a topsoiled fill planting area.

The fourth photo presents a better image of the left side stream and the 'token' waterfall.

More to come.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love it! Thanks so much for posting and posting more!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How do you keep herons out? or other birds of prey

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How do you keep herons out? or other birds of prey

Amazingly, I have yet to see a Great Blue Heron at my pond. Doesn't mean that there have not been visits but I have lost no fish to predation. I have had visits by Red-tailed Hawks, Owls and even a Bald Eagle, but with the surrounding vegetation there is no glide path for a raptor to approach the pond. I have also seen a Green Heron, but they only eat small fish and mine are near as big as a Green Heron.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I made it two years, then had two years of fighting the heron, The wide weave net I put over the pond finally stopped it from fishing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow I like that a lot. it looks like real nature in your back yard, well, i mean natural pond and stream :) may be I should re-think my future pond plan...

Ask a Question