Calopogon in bog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi all,
I've been gone for a long time busy with my chickens and ducks :) I pond is doing well and my bog is great! I decided to take out a lot of plants that took over the bog and leave just those that's not too aggressive.

That leave a lot of space to add more plants! :love:

I've come across this plant called Calopogon. They said it's boggy plant. I wonder if anybody has tried them in the bog. How do they do? It's so hard to find this plant also, where do you get it from.

Thanks!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't have the answer for you, although it's an amazing-looking plant, but welcome back! :)

I'd recommend trying Great Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica). It's a native plant, and isn't aggressive. It forms a clump that is easily dividable. Hummingbirds love it!

IMG_1601 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you JB! It's been a long time :)

Lobelia is so pretty! I have a feeling that I might have something similar but last year I didnt get to see the flower of my plants much as the invasive one took over. Even worse than mint, that one, dont remember what its called though. Probably got it from Addy :ROFLMAO:

I'll look into buying it. I'm not pretty good at planting native, they just dont like me as much as the invasive ones :unsure:. I also got some Monarch caterpillars now, have you? My milkweeds collections are expanding and I have tons of them now.

These was a week ago. This week the heart shape plant are so tall now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even worse than mint, that one, dont remember what its called though. Probably got it from Addy :ROFLMAO:
geez..............from me?

All of my bog plants grow like weeds, some in clumps some spread by runners, some by seeds. What did it look like? I just let my bog grow, it takes such good care of the pond I don't worry about how it "looks"

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Nepen- thats a very pretty plant, a hardy orchid. I looked on line and there are a few sites that offer if but mostly sold out. Not cheap either!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
geez..............from me?

All of my bog plants grow like weeds, some in clumps some spread by runners, some by seeds. What did it look like? I just let my bog grow, it takes such good care of the pond I don't worry about how it "looks"
Haha Addy, I was just joking :) Who knows how it ended up there!

I dont have much space for my bog and this one was growing through every thing and it blocked my water flow a bunch of times too. It covered other plants so it was hard for other plants to grow so I decided to take it out. It grows from both seeds and roots. The root is white and round and can be as big as my pinky. it's pretty easy to take out as the roots run close to the ground.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nepen- thats a very pretty plant, a hardy orchid. I looked on line and there are a few sites that offer if but mostly sold out. Not cheap either!
I know, right? I saw a picture from one of the person posted on the page I follow as a bog plant co companion to the pitcher plant... and I thought it's very pretty. I only saw 2 listings on ebay.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also got some Monarch caterpillars now, have you? My milkweeds collections are expanding and I have tons of them now.

No Monarch caterpillars yet. I just saw my second Monarch butterfly of the year today. Sadly, i don't have too many milkweeds left after milkweed yellows disease spread through my garden last year. Looks like I've still got some healthy Swamp and Whorled milkweeds, though.

Reaction score
You are in the zone range for these orchids. Often a carnivorous plant society or nursery will sell these as companion plants to Sarrencia pitcher plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You are in the zone range for these orchids. Often a carnivorous plant society or nursery will sell these as companion plants to Sarrencia pitcher plants.
Thanks! May be I should be on the carnivorous plant society... hm... never thought of that! If it's a companion plants to pitcher plant I think it might not do well in the pond bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No Monarch caterpillars yet. I just saw my second Monarch butterfly of the year today. Sadly, i don't have too many milkweeds left after milkweed yellows disease spread through my garden last year. Looks like I've still got some healthy Swamp and Whorled milkweeds, though.
ahh, I got those too but they came back. This is the first year I've seen monarch this early. Normally I'd see them at the end of August. I found 7 eggs last week, now only 2 caterpillars surviving. I didnt bring them in this time. May be I should :(

Ask a Question