Camera shy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
So what the heck?! All the fish in my tanks go bonkers when I whip out the camera but not the elite pond dwellers...NO. I can just stand there watching them lolligagging on the surface looking cool and the second I touch the camera, it’s like an empty pond. Grrrr. Snuck one crappy one of “Angel” right before she dematerialized.

Attachments

• 1E3747D5-AAD5-41C3-8CFD-B96358EB44D5.jpeg
    1E3747D5-AAD5-41C3-8CFD-B96358EB44D5.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 245

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mine are like that with the net. Any time I’m scooping stuff out of the pond, I invariably get at least one goldfish per scoop. It’s like they are competing to see who can get in the net. But, try to go after a fish — any fish — on purpose and it’s like fish and net are opposite ends of a magnet! Silly fish!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do they run at the sight of the camera and perhaps some rapid movements to get the right shot or do they hide when you go to make an image? Reason for the question is wildlife can hear the autofocus phase or contrast detection or if used, can see the autofocus detection (IR) assist beam. I discovered this years ago when shooting images for one of the aquarium magazines. If so, try manual focus (if you are using an SLR camera) and see if that helps. If they are bolting merely at the sight of the camera...try disguising it or your presence.
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
20180602_085856.jpg Mine are camera shy as well. I can sit and watch them eat from a couple of feet away, but we don't like the camera rite over the surface. I am working on it though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nice looking fish @Sparky and @Panzer13 , I have similar issues with my fish. The main problem I have is the reflection on the water surface makes it hard to get a good picture. I'm looking into getting an underwater camera but don't want to waste money on a cheap one that might break and can't afford the expensive one at the moment.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice looking fish @Sparky and @Panzer13 , I have similar issues with my fish. The main problem I have is the reflection on the water surface makes it hard to get a good picture. I'm looking into getting an underwater camera but don't want to waste money on a cheap one that might break and can't afford the expensive one at the moment.
I was advised to place a polarizing lens (like from sunglasses) in front of the camera to eliminate glare. But have never tried that so don’t know if it works.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, circular polarizers work great but take some practice. They can reduce the light by two or three stops and you have to set them up for the image meaning a quick shot might be difficult. But agree with Mmathis, they are very helpful for shooting pond scenes. Thankfully, in this digital age, we can shoot and shoot and it is virtually free! ShawnInfirmity mentioned the glare and there are other ways to deal with that issue besides using a polarizer. For example, a sheet of poster board held up at the correct angle can eliminate glare. I did a full feature about this for one of the aquarium magazines a few years ago and if there is interest, will dig it out and offer some tips.
Stephen

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was advised to place a polarizing lens (like from sunglasses) in front of the camera to eliminate glare. But have never tried that so don’t know if it works.

I tried holding up polarized sunglasses in front of my phone and it took some glare out but not really enough to make a significant difference. I'll have to try to poster board idea or rig up some shade so I can take photos and then take it down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, sunglasses are tough to use like that. I am trying to find the feature I wrote for Ponds USA Magazine a few years ago and they don't seem to have any material on line. I'll keep looking. In the meantime, your camera phone should work with patience. Not sure about action shots with a camera phone. I think there might be 'shutter lag' that is, a slight delay between when you push the shutter and when the image is actually captured which results in a blur. I could be wrong about that because I only use an DSLR for images. White or black poster board blocks the sun well. White is great for 'filling' shaded areas because it reflects light into those areas without causing glare. Often you can use the reflected light from the poster board and not need a flash. Also, consider using an umbrella. Umbrellas work quite well. It helps to have someone else hold the umbrella or poster board. I found capturing images to be best during dawn and dusk for great contrast and control of reflections. Also, wear dark clothing and gloves to help keep yourself out of the images. I went so far as to cover the brand name which is in white letters on my DLSR because it showed in photos. Go figure, they go to great lengths to make the camera produce beautiful images and then put print their name on it to reflect! A dark case for your phone camera will help avoid reflecting it into your images. Anyway, you can try the above and let us know how it works.
Stephen

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice looking fish...yeah my fish or birds by the feeder never seem to pose long enough for the right picture. Then the few times they do I seem to have an operator error with my phone camera.. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I thought about renting an underwater camera. Don't know if I would use one that much other than the rare fish pic.

Ask a Question