JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I left Friday afternoon for two short days at Governor Dodge State Park. Two days is not nearly enough for this large park. Unfortunately, the weather also wasn't ideal, so I didn't get to do nearly as much as I hoped to do, but I did get a couple hikes in.

Here's Stephens' Falls.
IMG_1848 copy.jpg

From the waterfall, the water continues to flow east through a canyon, as it constantly drops in small increments. I think this stream is called Mill creek.
IMG_1873 copy1.jpg

IMG_1903 copy.jpg

Eventually, the creek reaches the first of two man-made lakes, Cox Hollow Lake.
IMG_1922 copy.jpg

From there, it falls down a cascade and continues flowing east.
IMG_1926 copy.jpg

IMG_1939 copy.jpg

It then flows into the second man-made lake, known as Twin Valley Lake, before continuing to flow out of the park.
IMG_2224 copy.jpg

My longest hike of the weekend was to the park's largest of three caves. On my previous trip here in 2013, I visited the small cave and hidden cave, but this was my first time seeing the big cave. "Big" is only in relation to the other caves in the park. It's still a pretty small cave.
IMG_2038 copy.jpg

It may be the biggest cave in the park, but it has the smallest entrance of the three, only about two feet tall. The metal frame on the entrance is fairly new, and I know the caves did not have these frames years ago. I'm not exactly sure why it's there, but my guess is that it allows the DNR to attach something to it to prevent humans from entering the caves during hibernation season, to allow bats to hibernate in peace and to help prevent white-nose syndrome from spreading.
IMG_2034 copy.jpg

Once I decided to crawl in and took some time to look around, I took some photos. The cave was very wet. The air was misty, so I didn't have the option to use my camera flash, so I had to use my headlamp.
IMG_1996 copy.jpg

IMG_1964 copy.jpg

IMG_1983 copy.jpg

IMG_1971 copy.jpg

After leaving the cave, I took some time to explore the many other interesting rock features in the area. There are a lot of areas that look like caves as you're walking up to them. I suppose most of them would be considered rock shelters.
IMG_2054 copy.jpg

IMG_2062 copy.jpg

IMG_2120 copy.jpg

IMG_2121 copy.jpg

IMG_2134 copy.jpg

IMG_2141 copy.jpg

As much as I wanted to keep exploring, I knew rain was coming with potential storms, so I made the safe decision to hike back to camp. On the way back, I took this photo of an immature Bald Eagle. There were a lot of eagles soaring over the lakes. I rarely get to see eagles, so it was a nice treat.
IMG_2197 copy.jpg

In the end, it was a fun trip to an amazing park, but I'm a little disappointed I didn't get enough time to enjoy it. The weather really held me back from hiking the many trails in the park. I'm hoping I'll be able to get back there in the next couple of years. Until then, I've got one last camping trip planned later this autumn that I'm looking forward to.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The cave is super interesting, but makes me feel a little claustrophobic.

It was a little daunting when I finally arrived at the cave and realized the entrance was so small. Even more difficult with that metal frame. Basically hands and knees to get in. Crawling into a dark hole in the earth is not something I'm used to doing, so it was definitely something I wouldn't necessarily say I was comfortable with. Once I was inside and had a chance to look around, it wasn't so bad.

Thanks for taking us all w/you on that beautiful hike @JBtheExplorer
We haven't been hiking in a few years and I miss it.

The driftless region of Wisconsin is absolutely stunning. I wish I could get out that way more often. I'm jealous of the people who live out there. The terrain is a little difficult, but it's beautiful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We in the midwest are frequently lured elsewhere for beautiful views and interesting landscapes, but you have highlighted what we have in our own backyards. It's just as beautiful and fascinating as any other spot you could travel hundreds of miles to see! Thanks for sharing!

Ask a Question