Can (60W) UV sterilizer lamps make a constant noise (hum)? What are "high frequency" UV lights?

Reaction score
Hi,

We are thinking about getting a UV light sterilizer for our pond in the garden. Dimension of the pond are 9m x 1,5m x 1,5m = 20.25 m³ = 20250 litres in metric which I believe is around 5350 US liquid gallons. I'm from Europe and used to the metric system so my apologies if the gallons are incorrect.

From what I've read we would need a 40 to 60 Watt UV light sterilizer, which apperently is placed next to the pond (so not submerged inside it).

My main question is if those UV sterilizer lamps can make any (low or high frequency) constant noise/hum and if so, how far away can you hear that noise?

That pond in the back garden is fairly close to our house so will we hear it in house (in our bedroom) and in the garden? Since an UV sterilizer works 24/7 so also during the night, we obviously don't want to hear any noise from those UV lamps in our bedroom. So do these lamps make any noise/hum and how far away can you hear that?

Second, does anybody know what "high frequency" UV C lamps are? Does "high frequency" mean that those lamps emit a high pitched sound or does it mean something different?

Thanks in advance for all good feedback on this.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1580922004023.gif
@TomD
I don't use UV so I'm no help there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi,

We are thinking about getting a UV light sterilizer for our pond in the garden. Dimension of the pond are 9m x 1,5m x 1,5m = 20.25 m³ = 20250 litres in metric which I believe is around 5350 US liquid gallons. I'm from Europe and used to the metric system so my apologies if the gallons are incorrect.

From what I've read we would need a 40 to 60 Watt UV light sterilizer, which apperently is placed next to the pond (so not submerged inside it).

My main question is if those UV sterilizer lamps can make any (low or high frequency) constant noise/hum and if so, how far away can you hear that noise?

That pond in the back garden is fairly close to our house so will we hear it in house (in our bedroom) and in the garden? Since an UV sterilizer works 24/7 so also during the night, we obviously don't want to hear any noise from those UV lamps in our bedroom. So do these lamps make any noise/hum and how far away can you hear that?

Second, does anybody know what "high frequency" UV C lamps are? Does "high frequency" mean that those lamps emit a high pitched sound or does it mean something different?

Thanks in advance for all good feedback on this.

I have a much smaller pond ( 2000 gal ) and I have 2 UV's. One is a 50 watt in my Savio skimmer. The other is a 57 watt aqua and both are completely silent. Not sure why there would be a hum. Depending on your flow rate, the UV can serve 2 purposes. One would be to kill the algae and sterilize at the proper flow rate. The other at a faster rate would just be an algae clarifier. Just an FYI.

Last edited:

Ask a Question