Can a BOG be integrated with a STREAM?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Trying not to give up on adding a bog to pond build but not enough room along the perimeter. So I was wondering if a bog can be integrated with a stream. The stream currently is set for 3 levels. Can the bog be installed in one of the stream levels?
This is a picture of the stream

IMG_0123.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ideally it would be where your plan to put your waterfall if you want an up flow bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Ideally it would be where your plan to put your waterfall if you want an up flow bog.
I do want to build the bog as an up flow but don't want to lose the waterfall. Can the bog be built with the plumbing to create the up flow but still have the waterfall hitting it from above?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You would build it like @Meyer Jordan had a wet lands filter. Plants etc in the stream bed that the water flows through.
He can explain it better.

Mine is a upflow that then water falls into the pond, you want a water fall that then flows through a nice plant filter, i.e. wetlands filter. He had a beautiful one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You either have an "up flow" or you have "flow through". If the water is falling into the stream from the waterfall, you would build a flow through. But the waterfall would have to spill into the first level and then the wetland would be at the second level. @Meyer Jordan can help here - I would be concerned that the planted portion of the stream would slow the water flow as the plants got bigger - you would have to be able to control how much water can come through the waterfall as the plants grow through the season, I'm guessing.

To have an up flow, you need to plumb the water to enter the "bog" from the bottom and get pushed up through the gravel and plant roots.

You can combine a waterfall box with a vegetation filter - that's commonly called a biofalls. The top of the waterfall box is open and can be planted and the waterfall flows out the weir at the front of the box. There's no gravel involved, but the principle is still the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
You can combine a waterfall box with a vegetation filter - that's commonly called a biofalls. The top of the waterfall box is open and can be planted and the waterfall flows out the weir at the front of the box. There's no gravel involved, but the principle is still the same.
What you discribe was how I set up my waterfalls using yellow flag iris and water hyacinth to act as a bio filter. See picture in post #6

With the rebuild I wanted to add a upflow bog but really don't have the space. The biofalls waterfall and stream did a great job keeping the pond clear and water parameters where they need to be. I guess I'll scrap the bog and stick with the waterfalls and stream
Thanks for your input

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
really your stream will be a some what bog if it has plants in it good gosh I loved your other pond .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Upflow or surface flow, either will get results. The key is number of plants and a diversity of plantings. What you previously had with your stream will provide great results. How did you have the plants planted? Did you create planting 'pockets' of just anchor them in a couple of inches of gravel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
really your stream will be a some what bog if it has plants in it good gosh I loved your other pond .
Thanks ....My family thinks I lost my mind when I told them I was redoing everything.
I am interested in plumbing a line off the main plumbing that goes from the pump to the WF to Inc aeration. I remember reading you did this for your pond. Can you me give details about the size of the tubing you used for the aeration line, do you disconnect it or just close it for the winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
How did you set up that metal shelf?
Do you mean middle shelf in new build picture? I was throwing all the dirt from excavation back there . The sides are stabilized with the large stone on the side seen in the picture. The side along the fence has two separate rows of cinder blocks at different depths reinforced with rebar and cement . Lots of pounding with a manual tamp. Great workout:)
let me know if you were referring to something else.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Do you mean middle shelf in new build picture? I was throwing all the dirt from excavation back there . The sides are stabilized with the large stone on the side seen in the picture. The side along the fence has two separate rows of cinder blocks at different depths reinforced with rebar and cement . Lots of pounding with a manual tamp. Great workout:)
let me know if you were referring to something else.

So you cemented the edges of the metal grate? Impressive. I officially declare im too old.

Ask a Question