Can a pump be too powerful

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I recently had to buy a new pump and I decided to upgrade from 4500GPH to 6000GPH to have a larger turnover, but now I'm wondering if that was a smart thing to do I mean does the same principal for the UV (slower pump equal better result) apply to the filter?...is the new pump way too fast for proper filtration to occur?
My pond is 3'x10'x1' deep on the top and 8'x14'x4.3' deep on the bottom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I know a Sand & Gravel filter polishes the water better, if the water moves through it more slowly. I think it depends on what type of filter you have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you put a valve on the plumbing to reduce flow, make sure you put it on the outlet side of the pump, not the inlet side.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What type of filter do you have?
The skimmer goes to two Bio-falls
I would say yes. With mine I have to turn the valves down so that my water falls doesn't turn into Niagara Falls. My filter which is 275 gallons can't take the pump putting out a full force.
The waterfalls is just a bit faster but not considerably fast like you described yours
If you put a valve on the plumbing to reduce flow, make sure you put it on the outlet side of the pump, not the inlet side.
I'll make a note, thank you! ...but before I decide to slow down the flow, I want to make sure it is necessary for better filtration

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Based on the measurements that you gave, the total capacity of your pond(s) is 3800 +/- gallons. Since the recommended turnover rate is 1.5 - 2.0 times the total capacity depending on fish load, a 6000 gph pump is comfortably in this recommended range.
What, however, is the maximum flow rate for your present filter as this could affect the efficiency level of the biofiltration.
In addition, what is your present fish load?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Based on the measurements that you gave, the total capacity of your pond(s) is 3800 +/- gallons. Since the recommended turnover rate is 1.5 - 2.0 times the total capacity depending on fish load, a 6000 gph pump is comfortably in this recommended range.
What, however, is the maximum flow rate for your present filter as this could affect the efficiency level of the biofiltration.
In addition, what is your present fish load?
I have a 10" skimmer going to two Falls one is 22" Elite pond builder and the other one is an Aquascape a bit larger maybe 24-26" I'm really not sure what the capacity is, but the skimmer was upgraded to this size by the contractor supposedly to accommodate 2 pumps (one per each fall) one was the 4500GHP that just died and the other was 2800GHP...it worked fine for a while than the breaker kept tripping so we thought the more powerful pump was starving the other and decided to use one pump for both falls

Fish load 12 koi between 6" and 20" and 2 Shubunkins

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never restrict a pump if you do the chances of burning it out are greater .Reason I use 2 pumps and 2 sets of hoses and spitters made from pvc connected to the hoses with a clamp and and 4 way connectors .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Did that and had a pump burn out and it was a new pump .Sad to say never did it again .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Pumps actually run better with a certain amount of Head (back pressure). Allowing pumps to maintain maximum rpms over extended periods of time causes excessive wear and overheating shortening the life of the pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Dry run or run with low intake will wear the pump faster!

Ask a Question