Can anyone ID these "grubs" for me?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are twice the size (maybe more) than the garden variety grub I'm used to digging up in the yard. I found these today imbedded in a section of an old cut-down tree trunk that I was saving. I turned it over and it disintegrated -- the trunk was at least 12" diameter but there was nothing left of it except sawdust and these guys. To get them all out took some effort and I had to dig to get at a lot of them. There are 76 grubs here (yes, I counted), and if they survive, they'll be turtle food.....BUT WHAT ARE THEY; WHAT KIND OF CRITTER? And don't say Klingon gagh, LOL!

IMG_6373.JPG
IMG_6374.JPG
IMG_6377.JPG
IMG_6375.JPG
IMG_6372.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
We get Chafer beetles here in the U.K. and their grubs look just like those you've found, but maybe most beetle larvae look similar?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly Mitch, as that's the other common name for our largest UK Chafer beetles! Great minds eh? :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What about a May beetle grub?
View attachment 98264
AKA, June bug. But I dig those up in the ground, and these were in a dead tree. Also, these guys were at least twice as big.
What specie of tree was it? Must be the grub of some specie of wood-boring beetle, of which there are quite a few.
An oak, but not sure what kind: red or white?
Something from ST VOYAGER?... lol
You must have read my FB post, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know what species that is. I've dug up similar grubs. Assuming they eat plant roots, I throw them on the driveway, hoping that a passing bird will find'em before they crawl back into the ground.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Larval stage of June Bug. They're hell on lawns and can destroy vast areas in a short period of time. Some years there's more than in other years.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know what species that is. I've dug up similar grubs. Assuming they eat plant roots, I throw them on the driveway, hoping that a passing bird will find'em before they crawl back into the ground.
Larval stage of June Bug. They're hell on lawns and can destroy vast areas in a short period of time. Some years there's more than in other years.
These weren't in the ground -- they were imbedded inside a dead tree trunk. Doubt they are June bug/May beetle larvae. Also, these are much larger.

I just did a quickie GOOGLE search and the thing that came closest was a stag beetle. More research to be done. If nothing eats them over night [they're in a bucket on the back porch], I'll try to get some better close-up shots. Who would have guessed it, but apparently one way to ID "grubs" has something to do with their anal opening -- and no, I didn't get that up close & personal with these guys!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Shouldn't worry too much about old dead wood boring beetles. Just take for granted they will keep munching that old log until its gone and they move on.

I've got a big ol' tree, used to be 4' thick down, am toying with making a few soil pockets for arum lilies or ferns in its quietly crumbling mass while the beetle larvae munch on it

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@adavisus I'm about convinced now that they are a beneficial, but I become obsessed sometimes to find out "what"...... It's fascinating!

Based on what I've read on this site http://maria.fremlin.de/stagbeetles/larva-guide/index.html I'm pretty sure it's some type similar to Rose chafer Cetonia aurata (Linnaeus, 1758) (Coleoptera, Scarabaeidae), though not necessarily that exact insect.

I took a few more pics this morning, trying to zero in on certain anatomical features. Maybe these will help. @Tiny Termite, what do you think regarding this US insect larvae? NOT a ground-dwelling larvae.

IMG_8957.JPG
IMG_8961.JPG
IMG_8962.JPG
IMG_8963.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you google images for 'wood boring beetle larvae' your obsession might spot a few names to look up in wikipedia. There's a lot of creepy crawlies out there, too many to mention! When I see 86,000 species mentioned am in no hurry to greet them by name

I have no problem with those that dispose of trees that fall over

Last edited:

Ask a Question