Can anyone ID this plant?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's not an aquatic plant, but something that pops up in the yard every once in a while. This year it's going crazy in the turtle habitat. I cut it/them back, but more appear. If it wasn't for those really vicious thorns [OMG, look at the back-side of the leaf!], I wouldn't worry about them, but they're not people-friendly! I don't know if they fruit or set seeds, as I usually get rid of them.

The leaves are about 2" - 3" long, and this particular specimen is about 2' tall. Seems to prefer part-sun.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The leaf shape and orientation in the first pic reminds me of wineberry (invasive in these parts), but the foliage color and thorns is all wrong. Something else in the raspberry/blackberry family, maybe?

The later images with the white flowers... are those a different plant? The leaves look more angular with pointy sides vs the rounded sides of the first picture. Either way... GOOD LAWD, THOSE THORNS!!!!

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OMG, @michey1st you are absolutely correct! I was so focused on the thorns that I never paid attention! How embarrassing :eek::oops::nailbiting:, and I'm usually more observant than that..... I'll go out tomorrow and get some some more pics of both plants -- so they can both be ID'd, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Can you pull the plants, instead of cutting them off? Sounds like they are continuing to grow even though you have cut them, so may need to pull them roots and all to remove them. Not sure but the first plant looks like some type of blackberry or raspberry to me, too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan @mrsclem Thanks for the leads! It looks like the one with the flower might be Solanum carolinese, or commonly called "horsenettle." Everything about it certainly fits.

@CountryEscape Also, thanks for the lead! And now that I've read about the above plant.... It does have a very long taproot and grows/spreads via underground runners. One agricultural article stated that some roots can grow as deep as 8 feet down [geesh] and that digging them up sometimes does more harm than good if you manage to cut up the root pieces as they just grow more plants. Which is why cutting doesn't work.

I'll do more research on "berry" plants......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yikes! I wonder if strategically placed Brush Killer (like on a cotton ball, so it ONLY touches that specific plant) would kill it. Roundup only kills what it touches, and once it has been an hour, rain won't wash off the effects. But, you don't want it washing into your turtle habitat. Guess you have a real situation there ....

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Horse nettle (Solanum carolinense). But the first picture is a raspberry, or something similar. Definitely not the same plant!
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Horse nettle (Solanum carolinense). But the first picture is a raspberry, or something similar. Definitely not the same plant!
John

Thanks, John. That horsenettle is one nasty plant!!!! Just look at those spikes!

image.jpg

I guess I will let the "berry" plant go for a while until I can see it it blossoms -- if I can contain it, it might be something the turtles can eat.

@CountryEscape I have a plan for the horsenettle [gee, I love horses -- shame it has to be such a nasty thing!]. I can get some large cans and cut both ends off. Then put the cans over the plant [and anchor them if necessary]. Then I can spray them, keeping the spray contained and keeping the turtles away from the plants.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One of our Scout leader dads is a botanist with LSU. I just texted him the pic of the "berry" plant, so maybe he can ID it.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hard to tell by the picture, but my guess is EITHER some species of Rubus (brambles), which includes blackberries, raspberries and dewberries, OR Prairie rose (Rosa setigera). Let it flower, and post a picture.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@HARO @michey1st @Meyer Jordan @CountryEscape @mrsclem @addy1 That first plant is officially a wild blackberry, in it's "primocane stage", which I had to look up -- so it won't flower or produce any fruit until next growing season. Now to decide if I should leave it alone and let it make blackberries for the turtles to eat next year, and that will depend on how many times I interact with its thorns.

The other one, the horsenettle -- that one's got to go!

Ask a Question