can anyone identify these frogs?

Reaction score
Hi all

I live in New York and was wondering if anyone can tell me what type of frogs these are. I have 2 of the colored frogs living in the frog. one of the big one - and then I have 3 small frogs that I don't have a picture of. I'm just basically curious as to what type they are.

Thanks!

Laura

Attachments

• frog.jpg
    frog.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 491
  • frog1.jpg
    frog1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 499
Reaction score
Hi Laura!

Your second picture is a bull frog. These are the ones with my favorite deep baritone croaks.

Your first one appears to be a Northern Leopard frog to me based on the colors and where you live from what I can tell.

Aren't they just the best critters to have in your pond?! I hope you've given your two fellow names.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I kind of thought the second pic was a bullfrog.

I have a total of 6 frogs now at my pond. 3 Leopard, 1 bull frog, and 2 small frogs that I can't tell what they are. It is cool to have them hanging out there every day! I did name two of them so far, but will have to think of more names for the rest of them!

Reaction score
Thanks, I think you are both right. I went to a local pet store yesterday and described the frog and he said it definitely soundly like a leopard frog.
BTW - what happens to the frogs during the winter months? Where do they go?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Lauragal,

If you google in native frogs for your state, you will get a good variety of information available to you. Should be enough information online to identify your frogs.

Reaction score
Is it possible that the bullfrog is eating my fish??!! This sucker is big - 3 of my fish disappeared within the past few days - could be raccoons, but I'm not sure.

On a brighter note, I went to feed the fish yesterday morning, and lo and behold, I saw a fish that I DIDN'T put in there! Its small, maybe 2 inches long, and it looks dark gray. I assume one of my fish had babies, and this is the only one that made it. I'm up to about 6 or 7 frogs in the pond now - they seem to love my pond - hopefully not the fish, though. The bullfrog is pretty huge - the others are small leopard frogs, so I'm not too worried about them.

Reaction score
It's VERY possible that your frogs ate some fishes! Especially bullfrog, they will attack and eat anything that they can fit in their mouth! If you have some expensive fish in there, I suggest you move them somewhere else.

Reaction score
I don't have any expensive fish, but I admire them all and don't want the frog eating them! Do you mean to remove the bullfrog, or the fish??!! I have nowhere to move the fish to!

Reaction score
lol. she means remove the frogs. Good luck catching them--that ain't easy. You'd have to relocate the frogs to some other body of water, of course. But it's pretty hard to keep frogs away from ponds...they just keep coming back. I have two bullfrogs in my upper pond that are fairly decent sizes and I have no lost a fish. But bullfrogs are known to eat everything and anything--even other frogs.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have never seen a frog of any kind eat a fish. I'm sure it happens. I have witnessed a snake eat gold fish from my old pond in Cupertino, California. I would imagine if the BULL frog was big enough, it would try most anything that moves for a meal.

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you sarge. I have two bullfrogs living in my goldfish pond and all of them are still in there.Though I wouldn't put it past a frog...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ask a Question