Can anyone identify these plants please

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

If I could please take a moment of your time, please have a look at the photos in this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ponds/comments/qkuh26
That plant that looks a bit like a lady finger palm (Rhapsis Palm) but is growing in the water, what is that? It sort of looks a little like bamboo. There's one on either side of the waterfall in the second picture. Does anyone know what plant that is please? It looks great and would fit well in my new pond expansion I'm planning.

Also, that looks like there is an Elephant Ear (Alocasia / Giant Taro) growing in the water. Is that right? Anyone ever seen one growing straight in water before? I'd love to plant one in my pond but always thought they couldn't handle the water.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
All of my taro is straight in water. It's also edible, the base/root thing.

The plants on either side of the taro is a papyrus. King tut or other big variety.
Both are tropical and may need to be brought in for winter.

Idk what the flowering plants are down low.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plants that looks like Lady Palms (Rhapis spp.) are large specimens of Umbrella Sedge (Cyperus alternifolius), native to Africa, Arabia, and Madagascar. Papyrus (Cyperus papyrus) is a related plant, but the stems are topped by thread-like peduncles instead of leaves.

Ask a Question