Can anyone identify this grass growing in the draw down zone / margins of our pond?

Reaction score
Hello, do any of the veterans out there know what this grass is? It's gradually colonising the draw down zone of our new "wildlife" pond. It's "creeping", living in about 4 or 5" of clay on top of the liner. It's very happy submerged in 5" of water - it's quite attractive as a specimen (less so as a matt) with a bright red stem at the base, it seems to grow about 6" out of the water before it forms a pretty head. It must be native (to the UK), however I just want to check that it's not going to dominate (whatever it is). Any ideas, please throw them our way....

Kind regards,

Rob.

DSC_0296_zps361937c4.jpg

DSC_0295_zps9b85030d.jpg

Reaction score
Possibly - looks about right -thanks for the suggestion. I've got a contact at the Environment Agency (with an amusingly apt surname - "Flood") who I think I'll send a sample to (together with our Stonewort to find out which variety we've acquired). We've had a few more interesting things appear recently - I'll try to find time to post photos to see if anyone can identify them. I saw our first "swimming" newt today - until now, I've only seen them in their terrestrial form (hiding in our irrigation boxes - I love the way the play dead). Been a really nice day here in the UK - I could do with a hat like yours to stop my head burning (as the plants in our pond thicken up, my hair does the opposite).....Have a great day, Rob.

Reaction score
I've been reading and posting in pond forums for somewhere around 20 years, been a long time serious gardener. In that time I've made many guesses about kinds of plants people post. I have a perfect record so far...zero correct. But I still like to play. Who knows, this could be the one.

Ask a Question