Can anyone identify this pond weed.

Reaction score
Hello, I've just posted more detailed info on our pond in the introduction section, but was unsure whether this question would be better in this forum. I have a large 400m2 "native" pond in the UK with no introduced pond weed oxygenators - the pond is in its third year and is very healthy/clear, however this weed has recently appeared. It's slow growing and forming a thick mat along the sloping sides 6" below the water level. It pulls out very easily and seems brittle/crumbly. I want to ensure that the pond stays native and am having trouble identifying this weed. Does anyone know what it is and whether I should encourage it or whip it out? Thanks, Rob.

DSC_0248_zps2f819bdd.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Looks like one of the stoneworts (Nitella sp., probably N. flexilis) Native to Europe, N. & S. America.
John

Reaction score
Looks like one of the stoneworts (Nitella sp., probably N. flexilis) Native to Europe, N. & S. America.
John
I think you're right John - thanks for clarifying this. I understand it's supposed to be a good indicator of water quality which is brilliant news.....have a great day, Rob.

Ask a Question