Can anyone name this plant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm sure this is a very common pond plant, but being new to keeping a pond I still have a lot to learn. I was given a few of these and in the last month they have gone from 3 to about 35!

Thank you in advance,

Matt
IMG_7782.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Water lettuce. What's your winter like? They'll die at the first sign of frost, so you'll want to get them out of the pond before then if you freeze where you are.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Lisak1,

I live in Hampshire in the UK so we will certainly be seeing some frost at least this winter. I will make sure to remove them from the pond before the bad weather hits.

Many thanks

Matt

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No problem! They obviously like your pond very much! Some ponders have trouble getting these (and the other popular floating plant, water hyacinth) to grow at all, so you have been a lucky recipient!

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the group, Matt. Your water lettuce looks nice and healthy. We have a wee patch of it too. Our koi have been munching it down since the water temps cooled. Our trout won't eat plants, but the koi seem to enjoy the lettuce each autumn.
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Peter, its become my obsession lately :) although I haven't been able to spent quite as much time out there as I would like due to work commitments so there is still a few little bits to tidy up.

Priscilla, they just haven't been interested at all. The Sturgeon plays around with them more than any of the others :)

Ask a Question