Can anyone reccomend some nice aquatic plants for a newbie?

Reaction score
water hyacinth, pond lillies, water lettuce are great. I keep away from parrot feather and rush as they can be highly invasive and tough to control.

FXM

Reaction score
Just starting this wonderful hobby! My pond is a rectangular 6X4X3 ( approximately 350 gallons). I will have a Laguna PowerJet 600 pump and a Laguna Power Flow 700 Filter.

I would like to know what kind of aquatic plants would be good for a novice pond enthusiast as myself? In addition, any reccomendations for some plants that could surround the pond and give it some good ambience.

Thanks!

FXM:bouncycig:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi FMX,

I agree with Koikeeper, The three plants she mentioned are easy to care for until you are ready to progress into learning more about all of the varieties of plants that are compatable in your pond. If you have shelves around your pond, they are good for some basket potted 'bog plants'.

Happy ponding,

Rich :bouncycig:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is hard to beat the beauty and value that Parrots Feather adds to your pond. I have mine inside the pond and never have any trouble controlling it. I have not planted outside in the dirt.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
The only reason I had trouble with parrot feather was because I had two other bog plants sitting next to it. Parrot feather is a creeper and will drop roots into anything that is near it.

Happy ponding,

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I had my parotts feather entwined with hyssop. the hyssop eventually choked it out and I had to relocate it on the other side of the pond.

Ask a Question