Can Anyone Spare Some Frogs?

RJ7

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

I'm RJ, and I'm new to the forum. I have had a large backyard pond with 6 koi for about 4 years now. I was hoping to have some frogs visiting the pond, but in 4 years, I've not see one. Browsing thru the forum, I've noticed that some people rather not have frogs (especially Bullfrogs) visiting their ponds, and I understand that. Frogs are not for everyone. But my family really loves frogs, and we were hoping we could possibly find a few pond owners (In the Hudson Valley, NY, Lower CT Area) who could spare a few Bullfrogs. I am willing to pay $5.00 per frog if you require payment. And for those who just want to relocate unwanted Bullfrogs, I would be happy to pick them up if you live within 50 miles of my home.

I hope to hear from you soon!
Thank you.
RJ

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, that probably won't work. If you collect any or have someone bring them to you, they'll more than likely leave by nightfall, or as soon as weather conditions allow them to. They'll leave in search of their original home, which they may never be able to find again.

It surprises me that you haven't seen any in four years. I'd like to see photos of your pond.

RJ7

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello JB,

Thank you for your reply.

Fortunately, my yard is completely fenced in. There would be no way for the frogs to leave the general area. Eventually they would realize this and return to pond.

I took some time to browse thru your pond photos, they are superb!

Thank you once again for taking the time to respond. Your input is appreciated.

RJ

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello JB,

Fortunately, my yard is completely fenced in. There would be no way for the frogs to leave the general area. Eventually they would realize this and return to pond.

RJ
Never underestimate the determination of a frog!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can buy tadpoles. I did for my AZ pond. They did great till my late hubby added a bull frog which ate all my neat little frogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Hello JB,

RJ

Um... is this perhaps the problem? If your yard is fenced that frogs can't get OUT how are frogs supposed to get IN?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
My yard is completely fenced in and then my pond is fenced and I still have frogs and I am at least a mile from any larger body of water. I'm not sure how they got in, but they did. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Check to see if you have any local fish hatcheries, our local one sells bullfrog tadpoles....hopefully your koi won't eat them !

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello JB,

Thanks!

Frogs can fit through very small spaces, as well as any space beneath the fence. My frogs frequently go in and out of my fence to hunt. I'm not sure how your fence is, but if there is any small way to escape, they'll find it.

RJ7

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for sharing your suggestions, experiences, and observations. They are truly appreciated.

As far as my fence goes, it was only recently put up. The frogs had a good 31/2 years to show up before its completion. I have considered BF tadpoles, but would rather start with the frogs. We've grown tired of waiting at this point. We are determined to have some frogs in our pond this spring/summer.

Thank you for all your responses. You seem like very nice people here in the forum.

RJ

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a large wetlands in Hudson valley. It is full of different kinds of frogs. My favorite are tiny spring peepers. If you want to catch them your self be my guest. This time of year lots of tadpoles. PM me. House is in Lagrange NY.

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm RJ, and I'm new to the forum. I have had a large backyard pond with 6 koi for about 4 years now. I was hoping to have some frogs visiting the pond, but in 4 years, I've not see one. Browsing thru the forum, I've noticed that some people rather not have frogs (especially Bullfrogs) visiting their ponds, and I understand that. Frogs are not for everyone. But my family really loves frogs, and we were hoping we could possibly find a few pond owners (In the Hudson Valley, NY, Lower CT Area) who could spare a few Bullfrogs. I am willing to pay $5.00 per frog if you require payment. And for those who just want to relocate unwanted Bullfrogs, I would be happy to pick them up if you live within 50 miles of my home.

I hope to hear from you soon!
Thank you.
RJ
go on Ebay and you can find many sources for purchasing tadpoles. If they develop into frogs in your backyard there's a good chance they'll stay in your backyard.

Ask a Question