• 20160116_110620.jpg
    20160116_110620.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 235
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dragonfly nymph , not sure about that Smaug as I thought they were much more wider however it may be one of the other types of nymps, like a damsel fly, this is according to my book on pond life :-

Observers Pond Life ISBN 185471063X Author John Clegg Bloomsbury Books .

swaney we may well be both wide of the mark here being from the US and UK we do not know exactly what pond wildlife you have in your neck of the woods down there in Australia.
So may I suggest buying a book on the local pond wildlife in your area for an exact Identification .
Speaking about Australia my wife recently bought two books from Australia co written by two vet one being called Dr Richmond Loh the others name being Dr Matt Landos.
The title of the first book is Fish Vetting Essentials the title other book is called Fish Vetting Medicines [Formulary of fish treatments]. Dr Richmond Loh no ISBN numbers check them out they come highly recomended .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dragonfly nymph
Dragonfly nymph , not sure about that Smaug as I thought they were much more wider however it may be one of the other types of nymps, like a damsel fly, this is according to my book on pond life :-

Observers Pond Life ISBN 185471063X Author John Clegg Bloomsbury Books .

swaney we may well be both wide of the mark here being from the US and UK we do not know exactly what pond wildlife you have in your neck of the woods down there in Australia.
So may I suggest buying a book on the local pond wildlife in your area for an exact Identification .
Speaking about Australia my wife recently bought two books from Australia co written by two vet one being called Dr Richmond Loh the others name being Dr Matt Landos.
The title of the first book is Fish Vetting Essentials the title other book is called Fish Vetting Medicines [Formulary of fish treatments]. Dr Richmond Loh no ISBN numbers check them out they come highly recomended .

Dave
Thx
Damselfly nymph.
Thx
Thx

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes I thought it was something other than a dragonfly nymph and was correct with the damselfly all be it ours look slighly different than yours here in the UK

Dave
Yes, there are physical differences between the various species of each (Damselflies and Dragonflies), both in the nymph and the adult stages.

Ask a Question