Can cattails be placed bare root in pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd give it a try........what can it hurt. I have big tall Iris's stuck in my rocks and the roots just grow out into the pond across the water where the fry take cover from the big fish. The roots of the Iris look quite pretty actually........kinda look like Elodea but more delicate like.
pond354.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cat tails can be invasive, they grow a huge root mass. But with watching over you could keep them under control. In a bog they recommend putting them in a pot just to control the growth.

They grow great in just water, held upright by some rocks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey I don't know if this is true or not but I just found this on the web:
(If you put cattails in your pond, plant them in containers and set them on flat stones. Cattail roots can grow into liners).
Anybody here ever noticed this w/ cattails?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had mine in a bog and pull them every year. I read someplace that the roots can puncture liners so I prune mine back every year. I'm going to check out the mini cattail plants this year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's good to know. I guess we don't have to worry about the cattails or pretty much any other plant growing through our liners :cool:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The roots can just make a huge mass that is hard to clean up. In the bog the roots will grow everywhere, only reason I put them in pots with pea gravel in the bog, to control them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So if you tucked the cattails into the rocks around the inside of your pond ledge so their roots are in water you could just clip the roots off as they grew?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here ya go:

Physically removing cattails is a viable option when they first invade a pond or begin to spread from an area the pond owner wants them confined to. New cattails can easily be pulled by hand once the new green growth is about 6 inches above the water surface. Be sure to reach to the pond bottom and remove the entire plant, including as much of the attached root system as possible. Success of this technique depends on the pond owner being vigilant and regularly pulling out new growth.

An alternative, and somewhat easier, mechanical method is to continuously cut off the new green shoots as they emerge from the water. This can be accomplished with a sharp pair of shears or with a gasoline engine-powered trimmer (weed eater). Safety note: Never use electrical powered equipment around the pond, as such use could result in electrocution. This method�s goal is to prevent the leaves from reaching maturity, upon which time they produce and transport large amounts of food to the root system. A root system that is deprived of its food supply will eventually wither up and die. Again, persistence is key for this method to work.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've had the little mini cattails in pots before and decided it was too much work trying to get them out of the pots to replant. I may get some to stick in between the rocks and see how they do. The only thing is I bet their roots could push the rocks right out of their spot on the ledge and down to the bottom of the pond. One would have to keep up on inspection to keep things in order :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I had mine in pots that I set into the pond and they really did not do well last year, as a matter of fact not much did. I did get one water lily bloom. I was thinking about setting the cattails and lily bare root weighted with some stones. I have a 28' x 14' foot pond which is in full sun nearly all day, I really need things that are going to spread quickly. I think I am going to add about 10 lilies this year to try and cover the surface, hopefully. I do not want to fertilize.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had cattails in my bog last year. They grew to over 12' tall but all leaves! They will be pulled out this year. I may try some minatures this year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a few miniatures in my bog, waiting to see how they do once spring hits

Ask a Question