Can fish tell the difference between different people?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't know for sure, but my fish react differently to us than they do to other people that they don't see as often. They tend to follow my husband & myself from end to end of the pond when we're walking around, begging for a snack, but they don't do this to the same extent with friends we have over.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine do- hubby spends very little time by the pond and almost never feeds the fish. When I'm down there, they follow me like hungry puppies. If he comes down, its to the far side of the pond or down to the bottom.Who knew??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder if the fish in our know when my husband is the one feeding them versus when I do.
Yes. I have three fish who certainly demonstrate the ability to identify. One is a goldfish in a small garden pond that runs from strangers but approaches family and lets them pet it. Another is a Betta living in a 150-gallon indoor pond. It too will let family pet and hand feed but it runs from strangers. The other fish is my Archerfish (picture to the left) which is clearly the smartest fish I've ever encountered. The Archerfish is highly intelligent. In 14-years of serving as its concierge, it continues to amaze me with its brilliance. Some of the other fish I keep are more nonchalant about life. Show them food and they come running regardless of the situation or who's feeding them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I have some fish that are so lackadaisical they would take a worm dangled by a Blue Heron. But three of them are clearly 'Mensa' material.

Ask a Question