Can goldfish have a stroke?

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looked out the window and saw one on its side floating. But it was breathing. I looked at it and there is an area on the right side by the top fin that has scales missing. I touched him and he swam away in circles bumping into things. Then when he stops he floats to the top or he swims to the top and his mouth breaks the surface and he lays there on his side.
Other fish look fine.
Air pump has been on for months.
Plants are starting to grow.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
20180408_132918.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Probably an injury. Can you isolate it for a while — if for no other reason than to keep it out of further danger?

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There is another fish helping keep the injured fish swimming. A black goldfish doesnt want this one to float on his side so he swims along side to keep him uprite. Maybe a work through the pain type of therapy. I have been watching closely and it doesnt look aggressive at all just like helping.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

Here is a video of the other fish helping

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Its 8pm and the black fish hasnt stopped being the other fishes coach. Every time I think he is swimming pretty well then i see his shadow pushing him along.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I did a 10% water change also and turned on my pump to remove the water then had it circulate the water while i added from the hose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sorry about your fish. Usually floating on its side is not a good sign. I hope it gets better!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Patfish Missing scales and loss of swimming ability sounds like an injury to me as well, but just to be sure I would test your water parameters and make sure there's no other possible cause. Depending on the severity of the injury you will want to make sure your water is kept really clean (quality wise) anyway to help reduce the chance for secondary infections, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Do goldfish have strokes @Patfish in answer to that I would say yes they can, I've seen a koi die from a heart attack at one of our shows
However Looking at the photo of your fish i would say that you have issues with water quality in your pond
The fish looks stressed out of to the eyeballs at the moment so please may I have all your water Parameters so we can start getting to the bottom of this that's Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph and Kh.
Its around this time of year that we often see problems with our fish , nines out of ten it turns out to be water quality issues after a long hard winter and normally a water change and filter clean will help do the job.
But it could also be health related in that the fish has an issue with parasites or may even have some sort of bacterial issues .
Do you have a microscope ( they are must have piece of kit @Patfish ) They are a must to help you in the diagnoses of of health problems by use of a scrape with a credit card from front to back of your fish to get a sample of Mucus .
Then by spreading the mucus onto the microscope slide and viewing it through your scope you will discover if you have parasites or not

Please read the following Articles they should help you allot :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/fish-stress.41/

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/art...or-in-the-poor-fish-health-for-the-novice.39/

Dave 54

Last edited:

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do goldfish have strokes @Patfish in answer to that I would say yes they can, I've seen a koi die from a heart attack at one of our shows
However Looking at the photo of your fish i would say that you have issues with water quality in your pond
The fish looks stressed out of to the eyeballs at the moment so please may I have all your water Parameters so we can start getting to the bottom of this that's Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph and Kh.
Its around this time of year that we often see problems with our fish , nines out of ten it turns out to be water quality issues after a long hard winter and normally a water change and filter clean will help do the job.
But it could also be health related in that the fish has an issue with parasites or may even have some sort of bacterial issues .
Do you have a microscope ( they are must have piece of kit @Patfish ) They are a must to help you in the diagnoses of of health problems by use of a scrape with a credit card from front to back of your fish to get a sample of Mucus .
Then by spreading the mucus onto the microscope slide and viewing it through your scope you will discover if you have parasites or not

Please read the following Articles they should help you allot :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/fish-stress.41/

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/art...or-in-the-poor-fish-health-for-the-novice.39/

Dave 54
Thank you
I did do a partial water change and it helped. I didnt have the filter hooked up yet either. Now the filter and waterfall are running along with frash water i think it will improve.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Patfish Are you certain that this isn’t spawning behavior?
I am pretty sure they are both male fish. I have two female fish and one disappeared. The one female that is left is pretty obvious.
The injured fish has the white spots on its gills like boys get

Ask a Question