Can i add fish now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pond is 2 weeks old and has plants and 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls.Tests are good except for the PH which is over 7.5

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure if you posted dimensions somewhere else on the forum so...I would add fish but no more than 3 small ones to start the cycle

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now don't anybody faint reading this!

I've heard that one can actually use human urine to expedite the process of cycling a pond. I've never done this but wonder if anyone has any knowledge on this? It is ammonia that the fish create that starts the cycle so why couldn't one start it w/o the fish in there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I share this......since I am 65 years old..... and raised way out in the country on a cattle farm......those days are gone but......you can’t take the country out of the boy....... so my wife has chastised me many times for using the same place too much...... it will kill plants.....so I think moderation would be in order....lol Jimmy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
How big a pond? How big a fish? Small fish perhaps 2 or 3? Nothing more for quite a while until you start seeing nitrates. I’d feel ok there as long as you keep an eye on your parameters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Almost 3 weeks in.Todays readings are PH- 7.6 Ammonia- 0 Nitrates- 0
So far so good. BTW: Pond is about 700 Gal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
What type of fish do want to introduce. Personally I would grab a couple of feeders and toss them in. Nothing more for now however. Need to kick things in gear.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Goldfish can get 10" to 12' or more. Takes them quite awhile tho to get that big. Like many years.

Ask a Question