Can I add one more fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My pond is small, roughly less than 350 gallons. I have a bucket filter rated 900gph. I have lilies, water lettuce, irises, and pickeral rush for plants. I started this past spring. Currently I have 4 shubunkins and I am very happy with them. I like that I have to look for them but my father in law lives with us and he has a hard time seeing them and wants to put a new fish in, one that is bright orange typical goldfish. I would be ok with it but I worry that it would be too much. Any thoughts?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
eeeeeh....
I'd say no...............
Its more about space, not filtration. Idk, let someone else chime in here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They will have babies and goldfish breed to much ,several times a year .You could get fat fantails but shubbies do get pretty big and also have lots of babies .No more fish unless you want water quality issues

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
One more would not be too much, but as has already been noted, your fish are going to multiply (unless by some miracle you have an all male or all female group right now!). Also, your shubunkins are going to grow larger and they will be much easier to see as they grow. So it's up to you - encourage your father in law to be patient, or go ahead and add a nice orange comet and make a plan to re-home the babies in a few years... or start drawing up plans for your bigger pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with sissy get a bright orange fan tail, slow and easy to see and slow to breed.

Ask a Question