addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you contact the seller? I would think if you freeze it like we do our food it would be ok. Get as much air out of the bag as possible.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I keep mine in the freezer
I Just get it out when i need more

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sure that would work
I put the whole jug in the freezer with the lid on tight
and fill my feed can when it gets low

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Freezing causes the oils to go rancid.The reason is that freezing brings the moisture to the surface...so when the food thaws....you run the risk of mold.
if the manufacturer recommends to freeze it you would be ok but most do not.
If you smell it and there is a funky old greasy smell you shouldn't use it
If you do freeze do so in 2-3 day sized packets

Reaction score
Thanks DoDad....maybe I'll just separate it into small airtight containers (or vaccuum pack) and leave in a cool dry place.....I never realized how much volume 20 pounds of food is....especially since I have cut way down on how much I feed them as my pond has always been green.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I save my Gaterade bottles. Wash them out and make sure they are dry. Then when I open a 20# bag, I immediately fill the bottles and seal them. The large bottles hold about 16 oz each.

Reaction score
Oh, that's a great idea!! I'll go buy a bunch of Gatorade tomorrow!! LOL! I'm sure I can find something similar to use!! Thanks so much!

Reaction score
The vaccumn sealers that remove all the air from the bags is the best way to preserve this type of food. Once the air is out and the food is compressded it freezes almosts instantaneously. When it is thawed it is just like new. Fluffs right up. The bonus? You can also go to Costco or Price Club, by large quantities of food and package them individually with the sealer. Food stays fresh four times longer. They also have jars with ports to vacummn seal as well for daily use. Its awesome.

Reaction score
Does anyway have a formula for caluclating volume of water in a pool with variant depths? After calculation, does anyone no the formula for purchasing a UV filter for this size of pond? Thanks

Reaction score
Hi. Just a quick question. I overbought Koi food! Can I freeze it? Will the nutrients be okay if I do?
I use the FoodSaver product. The newer ones are much easier to use. You will be surprized how long the food last and how it remains the same. Lew

Ask a Question