Can I have a small pond without a pump if there's plants in it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I want to put in a very shallow pond in my front yard in a fairly shady area covered by shrubs and a huge tree. The reason why I want a pond in the first place is because I want to place my japanese irises in there. They are now planted in the ground but the foliage is somewhat drooping meaning they aren't completely happy in soil. Anyways, I just want 3 irises in the pond without a pump. No fish. Is that possible?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A Water Garden does not require a pump but non-circulating water is a haven for mosquitoes. You will need to use 'Mosquito Dunks' for control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
After thinking it over, I decided not to get a pond for my irises. I figured it'll just be a mosquito paradise and algae will also grow in it. So I kinda made a big mound for my irises so that water can accumulate there whenever it rains. Thanks for all the help!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
After thinking it over, I decided not to get a pond for my irises. I figured it'll just be a mosquito paradise and algae will also grow in it. So I kinda made a big mound for my irises so that water can accumulate there whenever it rains. Thanks for all the help!
You DO realize that water will drain AWAY from any mound, not accumulate in it?
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You DO realize that water will drain AWAY from any mound, not accumulate in it?
John
Well I added some clay soil in it and created a wall of soil with rocks behind it to support the soil wall. And then I put mulch over it. And it is sort of cratery already so I'll see how it works out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You could also make a type of bog w/a plastic container and put some small holes in the bottom of it. Bury the container at soil level and fill it w/soil that your iris will like and then add water to make it boggy. That way it will drain and no skeeters will live in it. Just add some water now and then and keep it wet. You could make it pond looking w/a larger type pool or whatever. Just make sure to add the little holes for some drainage or it will fill up w/water and just be a big mud hole.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well I added some clay soil in it and created a wall of soil with rocks behind it to support the soil wall. And then I put mulch over it. And it is sort of cratery already so I'll see how it works out.
Sorry, I mis-interpreted your "mound "idea. You could also make a small "pond", but fill it with soil to plant into. That way your irises would be constantly wet, but the little bloodsuckers would have no standing water to lay eggs in!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You could also make a type of bog w/a plastic container and put some small holes in the bottom of it. Bury the container at soil level and fill it w/soil that your iris will like and then add water to make it boggy. That way it will drain and no skeeters will live in it. Just add some water now and then and keep it wet. You could make it pond looking w/a larger type pool or whatever. Just make sure to add the little holes for some drainage or it will fill up w/water and just be a big mud hole.
Oh great idea! I think I might consider doing that. One thing though, I know that irises multiply. But if they are kept in a container then would they still spread?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry, I mis-interpreted your "mound "idea. You could also make a small "pond", but fill it with soil to plant into. That way your irises would be constantly wet, but the little bloodsuckers would have no standing water to lay eggs in!
John
Another great idea! so if i get a small pond, and fill it with soil and then fill it with water, I can plant the irises in there? Would I have to replace the soil time to time? And wouldn't the soil one day overflow along with the water?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's why I'd add holes to the bottom or yes overflow can happen and water can fill in it and might get skeeters then. I think Iris spread more by their tuberous roots but I do think they can drop seeds and multiple that way too. Just pick the dead flowers and no worries.

Ask a Question