Can I just poke a hole in it?

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am getting a trough pond with small raised bog filter up & running, and also want to add in a dripper/mister for hummingbirds if I can.

I have a 500gph pump using 3/4" big box store corrugated tubing, and I have a ton of 1/4" drip irrigation fittings from my farm. Can i just pop one of the barb fittings in the tubing with a bit of drip line and a dripper or mister at the end? I was thinking it would work to add it near where the tubing comes up under the container for the bog, and have the dripper tucked in with the mini-cattails planted in the bog filter.

But I don't want to poke holes if it will leak too much or make the tubing tear. I guess I can experiment with a scrap of tubing, but that won't be a pressure/leak test.

Has anyone else mixed the 1/4" drip fittings with pond design? I also want to make a sunken tub bog at the lower end of the trough (I set it slanted a 1/2" for overflow) and add some kind of skinny drip line to keep the bog fed and 'forcing' a slow water change as I top up the trough.

ETA: a link to my work in progress - https://seventreesfarm.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/getting-our-feet-wet-and-hands-muddy/

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I don't know for certain how much you can restrict a pond pump, they prefer freeflow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have hummingbirds here and they avoid the misting fan I have on the front porch .They won't even go near the feeder if I hang it to close .So that may be something that does not work for them .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I drilled a hole in my sch 40 pipe and just pushed in a small hose through the tight hole , it drips slowly on some moss a few feet away

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies!

Busy weekend, finally catching up with my internets :)

I think I will try a dripper at the end where the pump is, so I can try adding a drip line to the tubing near the end where the tubing fits onto the pump outflow. Hopefully just pushing a drip line into a small hole, but at least if it doesn't work I can just trim the end off and try a mechanical diverter valve.

I'm planning to have a plant 'stand' to disguise the pump a bit, and the dripper can go on a tall stake in the planter or be attached to the plant, depending what I put in there. That way the robins can keep splashing in the bog tub and not be disturbed by those picky hummingbirds :)

Ask a Question