Can I let my plants root in the gravel substrate?

Reaction score
I am new to pond keeping and am about to add some plants to my pond. I have some plastic pots, but I would like to just let some root naturally in the gravel at the bottom of the pond. I have some four-leaf clovers, rice grass, watercress, and umbrella palms. I would also like to try native plants, like Lobelia cardinalis and bulrushes. One end of the pond is about 1 foot deep with gravel at the bottom. The gravel is about 4-5 feet deep- that is according to the home's previous owner; I haven't dug down in there. There is a small waterfall that separates the levels- the other level is about 5 feet deep with some potted plants on concrete shelves. I have been told the shallow end is for a bog garden, so that is where I'd like to let plants root in gravel. What are the potential downsides to this? Does every plant need to be potted? The pond came with the house, btw. I would appreciate any insight. I live in USDA zone 5. I would also like to keep some native crayfish in the shallow end. The koi and goldfish live in the deep end. Anyone have a setup like this?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The plants would do fine rooting in the gravel, the one issue you would have, if you want to divide them, move them, the roots can be extensive and hard to get the plant out. The plants that grow in my pea gravel bog send roots everywhere, most I can pull and yank out, some are darn tough to get out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some of us here use 100% clay kitty litter w/ no other additives in it like perfume etc. to plant our potted plants in. You can buy it at Wal-mart.............a 25lb bag for around $3.00. Name on the bag is called "Special Kitty" 100% clay litter on the bag.

Reaction score
Thats what most do, is pot them in kitty litter with a bit of gravel on top to keep the litter from floating, then sink the pot in the water. But if you are planting the plants in a bog setting, you wouldn't want to use pots, because you would want water to flow thru the roots.
Btw normally a bog is only 12-18inches deep, I've been told anything beyond that is real just wasted, due to the water would not be able to flow thru all of it but I don't know. Is there pluming for the bog under all of that rock?

Reaction score
Oh and normally, you would not want the water level above the gravel, you want the water to flow thru the gravel and not over it.
I would think crayfish would do ok in the bog area, that's where you want them right? I'm not even sure what crayfish eat honestly, and do they NEED dirt/mud?

Reaction score
The bog part of the pond is sort of like a giant undergravel filter, like people used to have in aquariums. I guess there is plumbing there. Water gets pumped into the bottom of the gravel, then pumped up through the gravel and over the waterfall to the deep end. There is also a conventional filter in the deep end.The pond was installed by the previous owner, who ....had some design/technical issues. I would like to put crayfish in the "bog" part. I have seen them in both pristine mountain streams and mud, probably not the same species. My plants are soaking in potassium permanganate for planting tomorrow. Thanks for the input, everyone. I will be using a few different strategies.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bog part of the pond is sort of like a giant undergravel filter, like people used to have in aquariums. I guess there is plumbing there. Water gets pumped into the bottom of the gravel, then pumped up through the gravel and over the waterfall to the deep end. There is also a conventional filter in the deep end.The pond was installed by the previous owner, who ....had some design/technical issues. I would like to put crayfish in the "bog" part. I have seen them in both pristine mountain streams and mud, probably not the same species. My plants are soaking in potassium permanganate for planting tomorrow. Thanks for the input, everyone. I will be using a few different strategies.

Sounds like my bog set up, keeps my pond perfect. I just plant in the pea gravel, if something gets out of control yank some of it. I was thinking the pea gravel you have was just a layer on the bottom of your pond.

Reaction score
Thanks, addy1, that gives me hope. I planted everything yesterday afternoon, mostly directly in the gravel. I potted a few clovers and put the at about 2 feet for the winter. It will be interesting to see if the plants are able to get established this late in the year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My four leaf clover did better with its crown under water, around 4-6 inches, I have it in a pot. The clover in the bog did not grow as nicely and did not come back from last winter even though it was a mild winter.

Reaction score
That's interesting. The bog part of my pond has a little variation in depth, because the gravel isn't perfectly level. I planted the clover at different depths. The pond it came from has a natural bottom, covered with clover and dinner plate size lily pads. The clover is thriving from a few inches to about 2 feet deep, even growing up into the lawn. We'll see what comes through winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great! I have parrots feather, pennywort, creeping primrose growing out into the dirt.

The 4leaf clover I have is called fuzzy 4leaf clover, it seems to just like being in the water.

Reaction score
planted mini cattails in peagravel and when i did renovations...oh lord! took 2 people to drag out the clump of cattails because the roots attached to peagravel..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep cattails are very invasive and you have to tend them every year .Just trim off the roots like i do with my grasses .Twice a year I do my grasses in my pond and guessing this spring i will have to divide them

Ask a Question