Can I mix goldfish and koi in an aquarium?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Hello guys,am new into this and very willing to learn.I have a 120 litres aquarium with 8 small common goldfish.I was thinking of introducing 4 3" koi fish.any advice
IMG_20170916_113545.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Your tank already has too many fish in it. I would pick fish that stay a smaller size than goldfish for that size tank.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, Irie
Beautiful tank you have there!...but unfortunately I have to agree with @Jhn on this one

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't add koi, they will out grow that tank quickly. Agree with all above. Very pretty tank btw.

Welcome to our group!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! Love your tank! But those 3" koi will soon become 12" koi, and then 24" koi and possibly even 30" koi.

Reaction score
Yes you can mix them but as others have said you shouldn't have too many fish. On the other hand you can always give the fish away if you find it isn't working out. Koi grow quickly in ponds but I don't know how fast they will grow in a small aquarium.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Thanks a lot for the welcome,I usually enjoy my whiskey when feeding my new found friends (fish)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I did not understand your statement,please elaborate

Even goldfish can grow to six or 8 inches. That appears to be a 30 gallon tank (US measurements). Those fish are going to outgrow that tank very quickly. I am not an aquarium fish person, but you want fish that will stay small for a tank that size.

And all due respect @mgmine - but I would never recommend that someone buy fish with the intention of giving them away when they get too big - especially when it's a guarantee that they WILL get too big. That would be like saying go ahead and get a St. Bernard puppy for your small apartment - when it gets too big, just give it away. Why start out wrong?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Thanks alot
But maybe I could ask just to have more knowledge.am planing to have a bigger tank in an years time.for arguments sake if I add 4 3" koi how long would they stay before they demand for space?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
if I add 4 3" koi how long would they stay before they demand for space?

One minute. They will start growing the instant you put them in the tank. The bigger point is you already have too many fish for the volume of water. Adding four more may just tip you over the edge and you won't have to worry about a bigger tank.

Ask a Question