Can I put algea/pond scum-eating fish in my zone 7 outdoor pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have a small outdoor pond- approximately 100 gallons- with a simple pump and waterfall but no filter. I've had goldfish in it for decades. I only "clean" it about every year or so, even tho I know I should do it more frequently. The water is rarely clear due to sludge, but when I do clean it up (remove about 1/2 the water and as much sludge as possible) it makes it even worse from stirring up the sludge. I also use microbe-lift pretty regularly. Long intro to short question: can I put in a algea/pond scum- eating fish like people have in tropical fish tanks? Will it help or should I just get more diligent about cleaning the pond and water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
There is no such thing...

Dojo loaches are the closest to bottom eaters you can place in that size of a pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any organic matter that is already in a pond, unless physically removed, will stay in the pond in one form or another. Very little goes to increasing fish size (mass).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I will piggyback on this question. My new pond is full of fluffy soft algae coating all the rock surfaces. My friend has a pleco in her aquarium who could use a larger home for the summer. I am also in zone 7. If we relocate Mr. Algae Eater, I'm sure he would be happy for the summer and the pond would probably look tidier. But would he gobble up a food source for the goldfish and snails? Or is there plenty to go around?

Ask a Question