Can I put koi fish in a 300 gallon Pond?

Reaction score
I just put a 300 gallon pond in, I am new to this, how many gallons do each koi fish require? will I be able to put koi fish in my pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Depends on how long you want to keep him in there. If just a short time, say a week than fine but it's gonna grow fast and could get to 2ft or more and then you would be in trouble. You'd be better sticking w/ a few goldfish or some other smaller fish but even goldfish can get to a foot in size.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You could keep a few small ones for about a season or possibly two. I've used a 300 gallon for QT and for holding for a while before adding to my big pond and it worked quite well. I even had a couple that never grew and I just left in the pond. Kept plants in it and enjoyed that small pond for quite a few years.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sissy;
I'm starting to think you have a dirty mind! :redface:
John

Reaction score
Fish can often live for a while in spaces much too small for them, it all depends how long you want to keep them.
I once had to talk someone out of putting goldfish in wine glasses as table decorations for a wedding reception. Their plan was to flush them after the ceremony. At first I tried to appeal to their conscience by making them feel bad that so many fish had to die for what should be such a happy and memorable event. When that didn't work I used practical science, reasoning that the fish likely wouldn't have enough oxygen in a small glass to last the length of the evening ceremony, and that all the guests would be staring at dead fish by the end of the night. That didn't sound as appealing to them so they decided to skip the goldfish decorations. :claphands:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just put a 300 gallon pond in, I am new to this, how many gallons do each koi fish require? will I be able to put koi fish in my pond?
I've had a couple of 300 gallon ponds (horse troughs with pond liners installed) for about 15 years now. Koi fish will grow - and grow - and grow. You can put a lot of little ones in there, buy they will continue to grow until they are just plain too big for it's environment, then they start jumping out trying to see, I guess, if there's something else on the "other side". I've had them as big as 15 inches in there. I don't do that now, they get too big and I sell them or trade them for smaller Koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, the more you put in there and the bigger they get, be prepared to clean out the filter/s quite frequently.

Reaction score
Country
United States
welcome to the forum, BenB. I doubt they jumped out to see what is on the other side. They aren't chicken crossing the road. More than likely, they jumped out because of ammonia toxicity or perhaps lack of oxygen. Sometimes it is tempting to keep these fish in small containers because a friend of a friend who knows some guy says it is okay. But it is cruel.

Ask a Question