Can I put pond goldfish in indoor tank?

Reaction score
My ponds have waaaaay too many fish. I dont know how they got to such levels as there is no plantlife, nor pumps/filters. Think the previous owners fed them everyday. Anyway, I'm going to put a freead in the shop and let people take as many as they want. If they ask, can you take a goldfish from a garden pond and keep it as a regular indoor tank goldfish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The simple answe to that is yes, all koi and goldfish start ou life in ponds at the breeders farms , it 's only when they enter he aquatic tade propper that they end up in fish tanks.
For 22 years of our 27 year koi keeping hobby e kept our koi indoors in a massive indoor aquarium.
They now live out doos in our pond after ill health forced the move.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When my grandson got his first aquarium, he came over and took some babies out of my pond. He still has them.

Reaction score
Yes they can but please keep in mind it will take a lot more work. You will need to watch the ammonia levels in the tank. It is toxic to the fish. Ammonia is produced as the fish breath and excrete waste. It will build up quickly in a tank that is not properly filtered and cycled. You can easily overstock a tank. Depending on your stocking level, you will likely need to do weekly water changes to keep ammonia at 0. Can you share with us the size tank you have, the gph if your filters, and how many fish you plan to keep in there?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I kept some small shubunkins in a 55 gallon over winter one year..............what a pita. They grew, they trashed the water so darn fast. I had around 15. They started out at around 1.5 inches and quickly grew.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ethan (grandson) picked out 1 Comet and 2 shubunkins. He still has them even tho they are growing. His tank is a 49 bow front.

Reaction score
Hi dieselpower. I dont intend to keep any in a tank myself, i just wanted to know if people could do so when they come to collect them.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi dieselpower. I dont intend to keep any in a tank myself, i just wanted to know if people could do so when they come to collect them.
In the GPF, non sequiturian answers are the norm. So, after receiving the above unsolicited advice, what will you tell prospective fish adopters? Will you be testing their fishkeeping IQ first or will you simply send them off with a cheery slap on the back?

Reaction score
In the GPF, non sequiturian answers are the norm. So, after receiving the above unsolicited advice, what will you tell prospective fish adopters? Will you be testing their fishkeeping IQ first or will you simply send them off with a cheery slap on the back?
I wont be asking them anything really. It was more for my own knowledge as to what my target audience might be. I.e. putting a sign on my front lawn saying "free goldfish", could attract either a parent wanting one fish for a tank for their kid, or a gardener wanting 30fish for a pond. So a cheery slap on the back is my approach. Their future environment has got to be better than starvation/toxication in their current one.

Actually, to be fair I'll probably conversationally enquire about their setup, and comment if it sounds too daft.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Every spring I take some babies out of the pond and put in a baby pool. Than I post on Facebook's Rummage Sale "Free Fish" Bring your own bucket. The kids love to net out their own fish. I either talk pond talk or tank talk with the parents.

Reaction score

My mistake. I thought you were going to be storing them in an inside tank so people could look at them, choose them, and catch them more easily. I wanted to make sure you didn't put 40 goldfish in a 40 gallon tank (for example) because you would be back in a week asking my they are mostly dead. It would also be a good idea to be knowledgeable about water dechlorinators, proper stocking levels and filtration levels, as well as the cycle of the tank that converts ammonia into nitrite into nitrate which should then be removed with regular water changes. Otherwise, they will take your fish home and kill them.

Ask a Question