Can I put this in my Pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have these growing behind my Shop in a ditch next to a retention pond and was wondering if I could pull some up, rinse them off and use them in my Bog? And do any of you know what it's called?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
OOOppps here ya go

Attachments

• Pond Plant.jpg
    Pond Plant.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 266

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess you are talking about the taller stuff ,it looks like wild cattails and if it is it grows fast

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes the taller leafy things. I thought cat tails had saw grass (or something similar) for the foliage instead of leaves? If I remember correctly these last year did not get much bigger than that but had small flowers on a center stalk

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would try to find out for sure what it is - or take a chance! What's the worst thing that can happen?:eek:

But really - see if you can find out what it is first.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
IMO, this appears to be one of the species of Echinodorus. a commonly collected native and tropical plant used both in aquariums and in ponds. Usually blooms a small white flower with bright yellow center and this is also where some of the baby plants develop, baby's can also occur from the roots system and spread along the substrate line. They can be used in bogs and along the sides of ponds, Just be sure to clean very well before using and be careful not to let them take over as some can get very invasive.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Looks a lot like Water plantain. (Alisma sp.) Does it have tiny flowers like Baby's Breath?
John

Ask a Question