Can I see your least obtrusive pond net pictures?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My goldfish keep disappearing, most likely from some sort of bird. My wife is opposed to an obvious net but I think if the net was right at or under the surface of the water and unobtrusive I could convince her. Anyone have a setup like that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not sure that set up would solve the problem. The bird could still stab the fish through the net if the net were that close to the water. It might not be able to take a fish with him, but it could still kill it.

I never even notice the net on my pond. It just isn't something I focus on.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Go with a large open weave net, 4-5" openings and suspend several feet above the pond and let it hang down. Keeps all the big bad birds out but frogs and insects don't get trapped. You can barely see the net.

Attachments

• 20180716_105706.jpg
    20180716_105706.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 34

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All I can say is if you want your fish to be safe you will have to have the net up higher then water level or some use a wire screen like @Gemma and hers looks quite nice and it is lower down near the water and think the holes are too small for the bird to get his beak in.
Mine is way above so I can enter the pond to clean etc. Not that nice looking but saves my fish.

IMG_8600.JPG

IMG_8708.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love what @brokensword did w/his pond cover! It is to die for! He's not here anymore tho as he started his own pond forum. Won't post it on here tho as it might be considered an infringement of the rules or something. Anyone who want to know can pm me and I'll give you the link if that's ok to do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I love what @brokensword did w/his pond cover! It is to die for! He's not here anymore tho as he started his own pond forum. Won't post it on here tho as it might be considered an infringement of the rules or something. Anyone who want to know can pm me and I'll give you the link if that's ok to do?
Oh yeah, I forgot about him setting up his own forum.
I have the link saved. I'll have to go over there.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a 3/8" mesh net over my pond. It's not too noticeable. I use small garden fencing around the edges of the pond where I need to raise the net for the plants. The blue heron have stood next to the pond with this net on and have not been able to take any fish.

2021-4-20 inside looking east.JPG

2021-6-14 front (2).JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can see it in the showcase, even though he quit the forum some of his pics are still there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
My goldfish keep disappearing, most likely from some sort of bird. My wife is opposed to an obvious net but I think if the net was right at or under the surface of the water and unobtrusive I could convince her. Anyone have a setup like that?
I installed a device called the scarecrow motion detector, it’s a motion detecting sprinkler that fires off a shot of water that freaks out the intruder, herons, people or deer. My fish stopped disappearing. I don’t sell them, I don’t work for a company that makes them, I just know they work.

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Probably not the least intrusive and I don't like them but I have gotten used to them and it's a small price to pay after losing several fish to birds and racoons. I haven't had an critters get past my nets. I built an unnetted minnow pond out front but the coons ate the minnows too so now that's my "wildlife pond" and I don't keep any fish in it.

Attachments

• 20220505_182305.jpg
    20220505_182305.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220505_182314.jpg
    20220505_182314.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220505_182351.jpg
    20220505_182351.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
I installed a device called the scarecrow motion detector, it’s a motion detecting sprinkler that fires off a shot of water that freaks out the intruder, herons, people or deer. My fish stopped disappearing. I don’t sell them, I don’t work for a company that makes them, I just know they work.
I Bought one of those but, unfortunately , it didn't keep the racoons away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i took a different approach i took away the flight path they need to fly away the can swoop in but they know theres no way they can fly out .

Ask a Question