Can I set up a pond using an old stock tank that has rust on the inside?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have an older stock tank that has rust on the inside. I am in TX where Harvey flooded my property. This tank had flood water in it for over a month. It was covered with trash, wood and other don't know what all so I didn't find it for a while. The rust is pretty thick looking. I have washed it out with hose and that made a small difference.

I want to set it up with plants and small fish, goldfish mostly. I wonder if the iron levels will be too high for the fish. Any ideals?

Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, no. Sorry! It's rubber liner that is used in in-ground ponds. Maybe there's a way to incorporate liner in your tank so it would be fish safe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Im not sure this would work, it would have too many folds with trying to fit it. The tank is oblong and about two feet deep, five feet long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for reaching out to me on this. I may have to just put water and a couple little goldfish and see how they do. Hope for a happy outcome for the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don't think I would risk it myself. I have heard several times that the galvanized tanks can leech stuff out that will kill the fish eventually and this one already has a rust issue. If it were me, I would at least paint the inside with some rubberized paint if a liner would be too complicated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can put fish in, and they may be ok for a while, but for how long is the question. My Dad kept goldfish in his cows water barrels. Now the barrels were plastic or metal, used to collect rain water, and I can say any of the barrels that rusted seemed to have fish that lived, but did not thrive and died eventually. It's like a swimming pool with chlorine, just enough added so people don't become sick. Now imagine if you were training for a swim competition, your in the water six hours a day every day training. Now imagine if they add ten time more chlorine than the pool needs, you will be ok maybe, but for how long is the question. It's the same for the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can have folds in liner - every pond has them, as none are a perfect circle or square. You'd have to figure out a way to attach it to the top of the tank though. Or like @ShawnInfirmity suggested - a rubberized paint like you would use in a swimming pool.

It's up to you of course - I would just feel sad if I put fish in a situation that I knew could spell doom for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can have folds in liner - every pond has them, as none are a perfect circle or square. You'd have to figure out a way to attach it to the top of the tank though. Or like @ShawnInfirmity suggested - a rubberized paint like you would use in a swimming pool.

It's up to you of course - I would just feel sad if I put fish in a situation that I knew could spell doom for them.
I will paint the inside with the paint you subjected. Pressure wash first. Yes, I wouldn't want to have the fish die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Txbrenda - let us know how it goes if you use Flex Seal or some other spray on / paint on liner. I have a small galvanized tank that my Boy Scout son used to make a cool water garden with a fountain (for the gardening badge.) It looked wonderful but the fish would die within a day. When I learned about the zinc used in galvanizing, I felt bad! But if you have success, let us know. It made a very pretty little water garden / fish habitat and I'd love to know fish could survive! Good luck!

Ask a Question